Samaritans provides confidential emotional. The service is provided 24 hours a day 365 days a year by over 1,800 volunteers. At the heart of this service is the belief - that offering people the opportunity to be listened to in confidence, and accepted without prejudice, can alleviate despair and suicidal feelings.
Samaritans is available 24 hours a day to provide confidential emotional support for people who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which may lead to suicide.
Samaritans' vision is for a society in which:
- Fewer people die by suicide
- People are able to explore their feelings
- People are able to acknowledge and respect the feelings of others.
Samaritans' values are based on these beliefs:
- The importance of having the opportunity to explore difficult feelings
- That being listened to, in confidence and accepted without prejudice, can alleviate despair and suicidal feelings
- That everyone has the right to make fundamental decisions about their own life, including the decision to die by suicide.