County Wicklow Community Partnership: Invitation to Tender - Wicklow Local Biodiversity Project
Wicklow Local Biodiversity Project
Tender Specification – Invitation to quote
Project Title: Wicklow Local Biodiversity Project
County Wicklow Partnership with the Heritage and Biodiversity office of Wicklow County Council are seeking suitable and qualified Tenders to work with community groups in County Wicklow, assisting them to prepare Local Biodiversity Action Plans for their communities.
This project aims to support community led action for biodiversity in county Wicklow through facilitating the delivery of training and guidance, and the production of local biodiversity action plans for selected towns and villages. Each plan will contain a suite of tailored, practical and achievable actions that can be carried out by community groups to enhance their local area.
A recent call for Biodiversity Projects under Wicklow’s LEADER programme saw many communities interested in starting biodiversity projects but they were unsure about what exactly would be appropriate for their community and area. This project is to equip those communities with ideas and proposals about how to improve their own local biodiversity.
It is proposed to engage a consultant(s) to assist groups in the County prepare a biodiversity action plan for their town or village. In preparing the plan, the consultant should have the following aims:
- To deliver training to equip local groups with the skills and knowledge to develop their potential in the area of biodiversity. There will be a focus on assisting communities & tidy towns groups to implement biodiversity guidance such as that set out in the All Ireland Pollinator Plan.
- To create greater awareness amongst the community on how they can best identify, enhance and protect local biodiversity
- To develop a simple habitat map and habitat management plan in each of the participating communities, in association with representatives of the community.
- These plans will identify actions/projects that can be carried out over the next three to five years by the community. A key emphasis will be on specific achievable projects to enhance habitats for pollinators and biodiversity generally in towns and villages in Wicklow and to get as many groups as possible in the local community working together to make this a success.
- To adopt an inclusive, whole community approach to preparing the plan
- To encourage ongoing active engagement with biodiversity among participants through participation in initiatives such as; entry to the Tidy Towns Pollinator Award, the Bumblebee Monitoring Scheme and the logging of ‘Actions for Biodiversity’ in the online mapping system of on www.biodiversityireland.ie and other citizen science initiatives currently running
The successful tenderer(s) will be expected to work with the selected groups (minimum 10) to prepare a Local Biodiversity Action Plan for their respective town/ village. The programme is expected to start in January 2021 and to be completed prior to May 2021.
The consultant should establish links with relevant local community groups such as Tidy Towns, established Community Organisations, Men’s Sheds, the Green Schools Programme and any other groups relevant to the particular town or village.
In preparing the plan, the consultant should work with the individual community groups on the following areas:
- Develop the necessary skills, structure and knowledge to create local involvement in the identification, management and care of local biodiversity
- Wildlife and habitat mapping (using mapping and social networking tools)
- Working in an inclusive community
- Developing effective communication skills
- Habitat plan discussion and process involved.
- Identify biodiversity resources in the local area
- Identify projects and actions for the plan for the next three to five years
The chosen tender, will be expected to coordinate the roll out of this programme, including contacting groups to arrange meetings, booking venues and other organisational activities deemed necessary.
Tenderers will be expected to submit the following in their tender document:
- Methodology – outline of the proposed approach to the work and how it will be implemented.
- Timescale – a clear timescale for the completion of the process should be included
- Personnel – details of which individuals will be involved in each element of the project, and what their qualifications and experience are in Biodiversity and Community Consultation
- Cost -quotes should include a cost per plan and must cover all project costs including mileage, equipment, travel, venue hire, VAT and any other associated costs.
The Total Costs for the production of the biodiversity plans in a PDF/JPEG and Word Format must be clearly stated.
Award of Tender:
Tenders will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
Criterion: Maximum Score - Available
- Value for Money: 400 - 40%
- Relevant Prior Experience: Tenders should be able to demonstrate how they have carried out similar work in the past giving details of specific projects: 300 - 30%
- Methodology and Project Plan: 300 - 30%
- Total Maximum Score Available: 1,000 - 100%
Closing date for Receipt of proposals:
Please forward your completed proposal by email only to: Siobhán Mehigan, Rural Development Officer firstname.lastname@example.org by 4.00pm on Friday 23rd October, 2020
Any queries should be directed to Siobhán Mehigan at the above email.
All documents produced by the provider in connection with this appointment will be considered the property of County Wicklow Partnership and may be used by County Wicklow Partnership at any time, including for other projects, without the prior approval of the provider.
The issue of this Call for Tender in subject to the award of funding under the LEADER programme. As a result of this, this tender specification no way commits County Wicklow Partnership to any course of action including the actual delivery of the programme or the award of any contract.