Muscular Dystrophy Ireland: Health Care Assistant
Muscular Dystrophy Ireland
Health Care Assistant Required
South Dublin Region
Muscular Dystrophy Ireland (MDI) is a voluntary organisation that provides support to people with neuromuscular conditions and their families. Muscular Dystrophy Ireland envisages an Ireland that enables people with neuromuscular conditions to fully participate in society and reach their full potential.
Our Mission: Our mission is to support people with Muscular Dystrophy. We do this, using a member-centred approach, by:
- Providing information and support to people with neuromuscular conditions and their families through a range of support services.
- Advocating for services and entitlements for members, educating and informing society about the conditions.
- Supporting researchers and clinicians to carry out quality research into neuromuscular conditions.
About Muscular Dystrophy: Muscular Dystrophy is a collective name for a range of neuromuscular conditions. It is characterised as a progressive weakening, wasting and loss of muscle mass over time. It can present at birth, childhood or manifest later in life.
Overview of MDI Respite Services: MDI respite service is an essential support for people living with Muscular Dystrophy and their families. MDI provides the service of a Personal Assistant to assist our members with Muscular Dystrophy in their homes and communities. The purpose of Personal Assistant role is to enable our members to achieve maximum independence in all aspects of daily living by providing assistance in one or more of the following areas: personal care, home care, social and community participation and educational and employment assistance. Personal assistance services provide people with the opportunity to exercise control and choice in their lives. In so doing it enables people to be active participants within their families, communities, and society.
The holder of this position will provide overnight personal care and support in home a minimum 1 night per week to assist a young male member with Muscular Dystrophy in the South West Dublin Area.
Overall key duties will involve assisting with night-time routines throughout the night. This will involve assisting with personal care needs such as personal hygiene, toileting, transferring, dressing, hoisting, lifting, turning, mealtimes etc. Other key duties will involve assisting with assistive interventions and use of specific machines such as medication administration, peg feeding, cough assist, BiPaP, suctioning etc. Training will be provided in these areas as required. Additional duties listed below.
Location: South West Dublin, providing personal care in members home
Dates and times: Minimum of 1 night per week- Monday from 10.30pm – 7.30am.
Reporting to: Respite Administrator under the supervision of the Head of Services
Contract Type: Ad hoc
Additional Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with personal care needs as identified by MDI e.g. mealtimes, personal hygiene, toileting, transferring, turning, dressing, hoisting etc
- Assist with assistive interventions as identified by MDI; such as medication administration, peg feeding, administering cough assist, BiPaP, suctioning etc.
- Maintain confidentiality and discretion around all Personal Assistant work
- Develop and build professional relationships with MDI members and family members applying a family centred approach
- Participate in internal supervision with line manager
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team with all MDI staff e.g. Family Support Worker, Youth Worker etc.
- Adhere to all MDI policies and procedures; employment handbook, vulnerable adults safeguarding policy, children first policy, PA guidelines, social-media policy, confidentiality policy etc.
- Submit timesheets monthly
- Attend staff training as required
- Report directly to the Respite Administrator (based in Dublin) re annual leave, sick leave, policies, guidelines etc.
- Assist members in leading an active and independent life of their choosing.
- If doing additional MDI Personal Assistant work outside of the hours scheduled and listed above the role can also involve providing assistance in home and out of home in one or more of the following areas: personal care, home care, social and community participation, educational and employment assistance, supporting youth services and youth engagement etc.
- Any other duties that may be required by the organisation to fulfil the needs of the post from time to time
- A qualification in (or working towards a qualification in) Health Care Assistant, Nursing, Pre-nursing etc.
- Experience or understanding of working with people with disabilities
- Knowledge of Muscular Dystrophy or a willingness to learn about the condition
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a good level of spoken and written English
- Be reliable, trustworthy and always maintain confidentiality.
- Proven ability to apply an empathetic and non-judgemental approach to situations
- Enthusiasm and patience
- Excellent time management and teamwork skills
- Capacity to work on own initiative
- Due to the nature of this work, flexible working is a feature of this role
- Have the following training completed and in-date:
- First Aid Training
- Manual handling and People Moving Training
- Children’s First Training
- Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults Training
- Training and experience in using specific equipment: peg feeding, administering cough assist, BiPaP, suctioning etc.
Terms and Conditions:
- Ad-hoc Contract
- Health Care Assistant (2) point 1 of October 2020 HSE pay scales - €29,062 - Night Hour Rates apply
- Probation period of 6 months
- This post is subject to successful Garda clearance and two reference checks
- Must complete mandatory training in the following (within the first month of beginning to work with MDI):
- Manual handling and People Moving
- Children’s First
- Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults
- First Aid
- MDI General PA Induction Training including shadowing
- Training using specific equipment: peg feeding, administering cough assist, BiPaP, suctioning etc.
- Due to the nature of the service, flexible working is a feature of this role
Please email your CV and Cover Letter to: email@example.com.
The closing date is 26th of April at 5pm
Shortlisting will be applied, and interviews will take place throughout the month of March and April