STEPS School Completion Programme: Project Worker
School Completion Programme is an initiative under the Tusla Education Support Services (TESS), the Child and Family Agency. The programme aims to have a significant positive impact on levels of pupil retention in primary and post-primary schools and on the number of pupils who successfully complete the senior cycle, or equivalent. The SCP provides supports that discriminate positively in favour of children and young people who are at risk of early school leaving.
Applications are invited for
STEPS SCP is based in Our Lady of Lourdes community. The project’s cluster schools include Our Lady of Lourdes NS, Crescent College Comprehensive, Colaiste Nano Nagle, St Clement’s College and St Augustine’s School. We provide in-school, after school, out of school and holiday provision for children and young people who are targeted within our programme.
The project is looking to recruit a new project worker. Position is full time for 35 hours per week, excluding breaks. Training relevant for the position and tasks will be provided in house and with TESS. Contract for the position will be issued on a full time fixed term basis for a year at a time, and continue subject to funding from the department.
The ideal candidate should:
- Have good knowledge of School Completion Programme and its work with the target group in the community
- Have a further or higher education qualification in youth and community work, social care or education.
- Ideally have a minimum of one year’s paid postgraduate experience in the provision of services for children and young people at risk.
- Have experience and understanding of both formal and informal education interventions.
- Be computer literate, competence in use of Microsoft Office applications, including database, spreadsheets, word processor, Email and internet applications is necessary.
- Have the ability to facilitate interventions in an in school, out of school, after school and holiday provision settings.
- Have the ability to support young people’s positive engagement in education.
- Have good communication skills and willingness to work as part of a team.
- Have empathy for working with people from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Have the ability to be proactive, use their own initiative and to work effectively within a dynamic environment.
- Have skills and talents that are transferrable to developing programmes that will engage students at risk of early school leaving.
- Have a sense of openness to learn from the project staff.
- Have the ability to undertake and follow the requirements of the day to day work of the project as outlined by the project co-ordinator.
- Be in a position to obtain Garda Clearance.
- Ideally have access to car and full drivers licence.
- Be flexible and adaptable as the project requires.
Application by CV including current references and cover letter to the co-ordinator by email or post to
STEPS School Completion Programme
3 Garryglass Avenue
Ballinacurra Weston, Limerick
085 – 175 1005
Closing date for applications is Monday 12th December 2022 @12noon, late applications will not be considered. Job description available on Facebook: Stepsscp Limerick or by contacting the project co-ordinator.
STEPS SCP is an equal opportunities employer.