Age & Opportunity Active Programme: Assistant Programme Manager
Assistant Programme Manager
Position: Full-time, 37.5 hours per week
Reporting to: Active Programme Manager
Location: Hybrid working – mixture of in-person and remote working
Age & Opportunity is the national organisation that provides a range of opportunities for older people who want to get more involved in arts and culture, sport and physical activity, civic engagement and personal development. Our mission is to enable the best quality of life for us all as we age. Our vision is of an Ireland where all older people can be more active, more visible, more creative, more connected, more confident, more often.
We have an opportunity for a candidate who is highly motivated and energetic with a strong project management background to join our Active team as Assistant Programme Manager.
Our Active programme is the national programme for sport and physical activity for older people funded by Sport Ireland and the HSE.
Our programme includes:
- PALs (Physical Activity Leaders) - This is an education and peer leadership initiative which trains older people how to lead sport and physical activity sessions in their local groups and communities.
- PPALs – This initiative trains older adults with intellectual disability to take a leadership role in promoting physical activity among their peers.
- CarePALs - This initiative trains those working or volunteering in care settings to lead suitable physical activities with people in their care.
- FitLine - A free telephone mentoring service which encourages participants to start getting more active.
- Age & Opportunity Active National Grant Scheme - This is an annual grant scheme offering funding to older people’s groups, nursing homes, sports clubs, local sports partnerships or any group that is promoting more physical activity or sport within their members. Funding is provided for the purchase of equipment or physical activity programmes or various sport and participation events.
- Go for Life Games – These games include a variety of sports that have been adapted to be more inclusive of all ages and abilities. The games are being played by older people around the country in local communities and many groups take part in regional events.
- Movement Minutes - There are a variety of Movement Minutes videos to help people get moving and to keep active on the Age & Opportunity website and YouTube channel. The videos last from 15 minutes to 30 minutes and include general movement sessions, strength, chair pilates, yoga, tai chi and more. There is an option to follow standing or seated sessions.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
- To assist the Programme Manager in the delivery and management of the Active Programme in accordance with Age & Opportunity’s Strategic Plan, our Service Level Agreements and work plans with Sport Ireland and other relevant national policy goals.
- Co-ordinate the Active Programme Trainers in the delivery of the national training and development programme and provide and organise training, upskilling and mentoring for trainers.
- Co-ordinate the delivery of peer led initiatives within the Active Programme including PALs (Physical Activity Leaders), CarePALs and PPALs initiatives.
- Oversee the further development and delivery of the FitLine initiative.
- Oversee and assist in the delivery and training of mentors within the FitLine initiative.
- Be responsible for supporting and developing the network of PALs nationwide.
- Develop new workshops for the PALs initiative in association with the Active Programme Manager and Active Programme trainers.
- Develop new and innovative initiatives to further enhance the Active Programme.
- Attend workshops, events, meetings and deliver presentations as required.
- Co-ordinate the delivery and further development of the Go for Life Games including regional and national events.
- Develop training, information and promotional materials that will help achieve the objectives of the Active programme in association with the Programme Manager and Age & Opportunity’s Communications team.
- Support the Communications team by contributing to the website management, imagery management, and the content and management of online and social media channels relating to the Active Programme as requested.
- Support the Communications team in all matters relating to PR, event management, advertisement, marketing, design and print of materials and branding related to the Active Programme as requested.
- Organise events including training activities and seminars to inform and promote the programme.
- Oversee the update and maintenance of the CRM system relating to the Active Programme.
- Co-ordinate the Active National Grant Scheme for Sport and Physical Activity for older people with over 1,000 applications each year, and be part of the adjudication panel for the Grant Scheme.
- Be responsible for the delivery and implementation of the EWOS (European Week of Sport) activities annually.
- Support and work closely with all of the Active Programme team.
- Work closely with the Policy, Research and Evaluation Manager and Communications Manager on all aspects of the Active Programme.
- Assist with the production and distribution of programme related materials.
- Develop new and maintain existing stakeholder relationships with a range of agencies and organisations.
- Assist the Active Programme Manager in the management of the budget for the Active Programme.
- Input into the preparation of funding applications where requested by the Active Programme Manager.
- Liaise with the HR Manager and the Active Programme Manager in relation to the recruitment of contractors, interns and volunteers.
- Ensure adherence to legislation, regulations and defined quality standards on all projects undertaken.
- Follow the policies and procedures outlined in Age & Opportunity’s Employee Handbook, Policies and Procedures Manual, Internal Financial Controls and Procedures and Safety Statement.
- Commit to the purpose of Age & Opportunity and work within the values of the organisation.
- Contribute as an active member of the Age & Opportunity team, to the development and support of other initiatives within the organisation where relevant.
- Promote and represent Age & Opportunity on committees and at events as requested.
- Participate in regular supervision with your line manager.
- Actively participate in full team meetings.
- Show reasonable flexibility in relation to hours of attendance to meet the needs of the work. Work during unsocial hours may be required.
- Have a flexible approach to the work in response to organisational change, development and review of best practice.
- Participate in and engage with a performance management programme.
- Identify training needs with your line manager and participate in training opportunities appropriate to the role.
- Operate within agreed budgets seeking authorisation for expenditure and be accountable for such expenditure authorised and ensure the appropriate coding of expenses.
- Provide written reports as per deadlines requested.
- Undertake any other tasks as will from time to time be requested
A third level qualification in a sport or physical activity related field.
- At least 4 years’ experience in project and people management and stakeholder management.
- At least 4 years’ experience in the area of health promotion, physical activity or sport.
- Experience in developing and managing similar programmes and initiatives preferably for older people.
- Knowledge of Ireland’s health sport and physical activity environment, policies and structures.
- Strong interest and background in the area of older people’s health, physical activity or sport.
- A team player with good interpersonal skills and the ability to engage with a range of people and organisations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong project management, organisation skills as well as attention to detail.
- High level of computer literacy and competency in Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Experience of managing budgets.
- Experience in using CRM system, preferably Salesforce.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure, and respond quickly to changing demands and demonstrate strong skills in prioritisation and time management
- Display a positive manner and integrity, confidentiality and commitment
- Full drivers licence and use of a car.
Remuneration and Benefits
The salary for this position is €40,000.
Age & Opportunity offers the following benefits in addition to salary:
- Excellent working conditions in our Dublin office with a hybrid working model in place, with a great team of colleagues.
- An 8% employer’s contribution to pension (subject to a minimum 4% employee contribution).
- Annual leave of 24 days.
- Paid Maternity / Adoptive leave after 12 months’ service.
- Closure of the office on Good Friday and Christmas Eve (gift days).
- Employee Assistance and Wellbeing programme.
- Opportunity to avail of continuous professional development training specific to the role as deemed appropriate.
- Travel (bike to work scheme, tax saver commuter tickets).
The complete list of terms and conditions will be made available to the candidate offered the role.
Please send your CV and cover letter, outlining how you match the above criteria, by email to email@example.com
Deadline for receipt of applications is 5pm on Friday the 10th of February 2023. Interviews will be held on Tuesday the 21st of February.
Shortlisting will apply.
Age & Opportunity is an equal opportunities employer.