Sophia Housing Association: Childcare Worker (Part Time)
Sophia is a national organisation that has been supporting people as they emerge from homelessness since 1997. Responding to an ever-growing need in Ireland, Sophia supported 1,034 people in 2019 which is an increase of 100% in the number of people supported since 2016.
Sophia is a niche service provider for two reasons; Firstly, it sees the provision of home of one’s own as the primary response to homelessness and the intervention that Sophia is exclusively focused on. Secondly as an Approved Housing Body, its core mission is to provide homes for individuals, couples and families who not only need a home but also present with other support needs.
Sophia recognises that homelessness can have a traumatic impact on people and that services need to be designed and delivered in a trauma informed way.
We aim to provide safe and innovative projects for vulnerable families and individuals which will enable them to make a positive difference in their lives.
Sophia Housing Association is currently recruiting for the following position:
Part Time Childcare Worker
Sophia Nurturing Centre, Cork Street, Dublin 8
Reporting to Childcare and Nurturing Centre Manager, Cork St
Contract Specified Purpose (maternity leave cover)
Hours 28 hrs per week (Monday to Friday):
Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9am-1pm,
Tuesday and Thursday 9am-5pm
Salary €23,167 per annum
Job Purpose To undertake the role of room leader in the day to day running of Sophia Childcare Service working with the children and families in a holistic way.
Areas of duties and responsibilities Services, Human Resources, Finance, Health and Safety Development.
Key Responsibilities Services
- To commit to the objectives and ethos of Sophia
- To ensure best practice in the delivery of Children’s Services.
- To work in accordance with Government legislation and policy.
- To work in accordance with Sophia and Policies and Procedures.
- To work in a holistic way with children and families individually and in groups.
- To work with the Childcare and Support team to develop a plan for child development and play activities for the varying age groups.
- To develop individual Care Plans for the children.
- To ensure that all children, parents and visitors are welcomed into the service.
- To involve the children in decision making as appropriate to their age and understanding.
- To monitor and maintain appropriate written records of work with the child.
- To be vigilant and monitor for signs of NAI, sexual abuse, neglect and report any concerns to the Childcare and Nurturing Centre Manager or in her absence the Childcare Resource Coordinator, Project Manager or Head of Services.
- To record concerns promptly and accurately. To consult with the Designated Person and take appropriate action in accordance with Sophia Child Protection policy
- To lead and work with the team to develop an appropriate Curriculum and ensure that it is informed by Aistear the National Early Childhood Curriculum Framework and Síolta the National Quality Framework for Early Childhood Education
- To assist in the planning and supervision of children in relation to offsite activities and outings.
- To work in accordance with agreed shift hours.
- To assist in the induction and on-going training, support and direction of employees, Volunteers, Students and trainees of Sophia
- Delegate appropriate responsibility and authority to the level of staff under their direction consistent with effective decision making while retaining overall responsibility and accountability for results.
- To be aware of the approved budget based on the information provided by the Finance Department, Childcare and Nurturing Centre Manager
- Child Attendance to be accurately recorded and forwarded to the Childcare and Nurturing Centre Manager as required by Government funding compliance.
Health and Safety
- To ensure that necessary fire, health and safety policies and procedures are in place and adhered to.
- To ensure high standards of hygiene and cleanliness are maintained at all times.
- To ensure appropriate procedures are in place for responding to emergencies within the Project.
- To attend other agency meetings as appropriate and to work effectively with relevant personnel within Sophia.
- To contribute to policy development and review within the agency.
- To attend training courses and relevant evening meetings relating to the provision of Childcare Services in order to ensure that a high quality service is maintained and for professional development.
- To monitor and review service provision to ensure high standards of childcare, education and welfare are in place.
- Undertake regular service evaluation in consultation with service users and staff.
- To participate in regular support and supervision.
- To undertake other work that may be assigned from time to time.
- A minimum qualification of Level 6 in Early Childhood Care and Education or equivalent - approved by the Dept. of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth is essential.
Experience and Skills
- At least 2 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Experience of working with pre-school and school aged children.
- Experience of working with parents as partners.
- A good working knowledge of Síolta & Aistear.
- Knowledge of the Child Care Act 1991 [Early Years Services) Regulations 2016 and the National Quality Framework.
- A good knowledge and understanding of child protection and the duties and responsibilities under Children First
- Computer skills- knowledge of word is essential.
- First Aid Qualification is desirable.
- An inclusive child centred approach to practice.
- Be naturally warm and respectful towards children & their needs.
- A flexible approach to work
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- An ability to work in partnership with the team.
- Excellent organisational skills.
Please forward a Cover Letter and CV to Recruitment@sophia.ie
The closing date for receipt of applications is Monday, 6th February 2023