Business in the Community Ireland: Head of Education
Head of Education
Business in the Community Ireland is a movement for change. Our purpose is to inspire and enable business to bring about a sustainable, low carbon economy and a more inclusive society where everyone thrives.
Job Title: Head of Education
Contract Type: Permanent - Full time – 35 hours per week
Office Location: Phibsborough, Dublin 7. A hybrid working model is in place, including remote/virtual working, with some travel within Dublin and nationally expected
Salary band: €60,000 to €73,000
Please note that you must hold current eligibility to work in Ireland to be considered for the role
Business in the Community Ireland (BITCI) is a unique organisation. Since 2000, we champion the business transition to more sustainable and inclusive models that leave no-one behind. We pioneer initiatives and strategic support services for business. Over 120 of Ireland’s largest companies are members.
We engage with the education sector and manage a flagship initiative, The Schools’ Business Partnership. BITCI’s current 3-year strategy has a key goal on inclusive workplaces and thriving communities. Our education programmes are fundamental to achieving that goal of inclusion. The programmes aim to positively impact and address key issues in areas of educational inclusion in Ireland. We do this by matching targeted School Completion/DEIS schools with local businesses and engaging in various programmes. Programmes include Student Mentoring, World of Work, Time to Read and Time to Count. We also provide leadership series for principals and industry insights for teachers.
A unique opportunity has arisen for a senior manager to join our organisation and lead our education programmes and activity during a critical phase for schools and students.
The Head of Education plays a vital role in the organisation. Reporting to the CEO and a member of the Senior Management team, working with a team of twenty colleagues, the Head of Education will be responsible for implementing our Strategic Action Plan’s education goals and objectives. The team of experienced Regional Coordinators manage the partnerships and all activity in that geographical region. We ensure national best practice across the country and undertake impact measurement and gather together regularly and for an annual two day Think In. We also have three administrators who ensure our materials, social media, marketing, event management is all supported nationally.
The key aims of the role are:
- Grow and deepen our existing schools’ business partnerships
- Encourage BITCI member companies and non-members to participate in the education programmes and positively impact on addressing educational disadvantage
- Lead and support the team on the implementation of new areas of support and pilot programmes
- Ensure the financial sustainability of all activity by fostering strong relationships with funders and sponsors
- Work with Head of Communications & Stakeholder Relations to ensure effective communications.
Lead and Manage Education Team and be an integral part of the Senior Leadership Team
- Understand the values that underpin our work and organisation
- Lead and manage the Education team of approximately 20 people in an effective manner
- As a member of the Senior Team, engage in regular meetings and updates; participate in strategy development and ongoing change management.
- Support the CEO and HR Manager on internal communications including monthly all-staff meetings, bi-annual staff days, regular updates and own team meetings
- Provide developmental opportunities for the team in line with organisational strategy
- Re-structure the team as appropriate to ensure expansion and ongoing development
- Ensure the performance management framework is implemented, holding appraisal meetings and appropriate reviews
- Ensure appropriate training, coaching and support is provided for each role
- Ensure that staff’s time is used efficiently and effectively
- Recruit and induct staff, or volunteers, as required.
Development and implementation of strategic plans
- Develop and implement an annual action plan and KPIs for the team, aligned with strategic objectives
- Maximize funding streams and ensure adequate resources are in place to achieve the plan
Development and maintenance of relationships with key stakeholders
- Engage with key stakeholders including Government, funders, sponsors, participating companies and education players to develop partnerships and programmes for impact
- Ensure that member companies are encouraged to engage in education programmes
- Ensure a pipeline of potential business participants around the country
- Provide annual impact measurement (evaluation) reports to all funders and advise when risks present themselves
Delivering relevant programmes and supports to schools and educators
- Monitor current programmes and ensure ongoing programme development in liaison with the programme coordinators
- Ensure evaluation and impact measurement is conducted in a robust manner informing ongoing programme development and value for funders
- Support programme coordinators on an ongoing basis to ensure annual objectives are met
- Liaise with Tusla, Department of Education officials, educators and business leaders to define the key business supports that BITCI can provide to education sector
- Monitor research produced by ESRI, OECD, Education Research Centre (ERC) and other key research agencies to ensure BITCI’s education supports are focussed on the top areas of need.
Management of Financial Resources
- Liaise with CEO to ensure that staffing resources meet the needs of the strategic plan
- Agree the budgets with the CEO on an annual basis
- Ensure that income is sufficient for expenditure and is collected on a timely basis
- Ensure purchasing is in line with BITCI procurement policy and all relevant policies
- Be cost efficient in all areas and undertake regular reviews of management accounts with Finance Department
- Ensure proper monitoring and payment of staff travel and expenses are in place and in accordance with agreed BITCI rates and any other allowances and budget.
Effective Communications internally and externally
- Ensure the CEO is kept aware of all relevant matters
- Ensure relevant Government Departments are regularly communicated with and demonstrate value for money to funders and sponsors
- Provide reports and KPI’s for all Board meetings and attend Board meetings as required
- Ensure high level of communication with MST/Employment/Communications teams in particular and other teams as appropriate
- Ensure best practice communication with key stakeholders
- Obtain ongoing feedback from stakeholders and participants via the annual evaluation process; produce and distribute high quality reports
- Lead team communications, meetings appropriate to team needs.
- Leading and disseminating thought leadership
- Speaking at events in Ireland and at European Level
- Writing/Posting articles as appropriate
- Research emerging trends in education and business, new technologies, methodologies and information relevant to the job
- Promote a safety culture within one’s area of responsibility and ensure team members attend health and safety training as required
- Carry out other duties as required which are consistent with the role.
Experience and Knowledge
- Minimum of seven years’ experience of senior management in either business, education or not- for-profit sector, ideally on one of the following areas: education, inclusion, career guidance or business leadership
- A proven track-record in managing teams with a focus on learning and development and coaching talent
- Strong knowledge of the business, education sectors and key influencers in Ireland, with a good network of contacts and relationships
- Strong understanding of educational issues particularly concerning marginalised groups
- Good understanding of CSR and sustainability
- Experience of leading multi-stakeholder dialogue
- Experience in building relationships at senior level with business, government and education
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, MS Dynamics and SharePoint/OneDrive
Education and Qualifications
- The above knowledge to have been acquired by relevant experience or relevant degree.
Skills/ Personal Attributes
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a large team with multiple tasks and deadlines
- Professional demeanor
- Work to high degree of attention to detail and thoroughness
- Excellent presentation, facilitation, research and writing skills
- Confidence in speaking externally to range of audiences and media
- Strong planning, time, and project management skills
- Diplomacy and sensitivity to different opinions and approaches
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills
- Committed to the values of Business in the Community Ireland
- Passionate about educational inclusion and improving society
What we offer
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Generous Annual leave: 22 days annual leave per year pro rata, rising to 26 days after 1 year
- PRSA: Option to join the Company’s PRSA scheme after six months' service.
- Flexible working practices
- Training and Development Opportunities
- Two days’ paid leave per annum for volunteering in the community and voluntary sector
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Cycle to work and TaxSaver commuter scheme
- Supports to set-up home office and provision of necessary IT infrastructure for remote working
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
Please email your CV and cover letter to Anna Rychlik, HR Department, at firstname.lastname@example.org by COB on October 11th. Please include Head of Education in the subject line of your email.
Business in the Community Ireland is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an inclusive employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or socio-economic status.