Fighting Blindness: Head of Fundraising and Development
Head of Fundraising and Development
Location: Dublin City Centre
Hours: Full Time
Starting date: June 2022
Holidays: 24 days per annum
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
Fighting Blindness is a unique organisation founded in 1983, its mission being to find treatments and cures for conditions causing severe sight loss, supporting individuals and families affected through our Insight Counselling Service and empowering the visually impaired community through advocacy and opportunity. Fighting Blindness brings together leading experts who share its pioneering vision for the future and we are looking for an experienced Head of Fundraising and Development to join our team in its next phase of development.
Fighting Blindness seeks to maintain and grow existing fundraising activities, to be complemented by a significant increase in individual giving and cultivating high net worth donors.
Job context and person specification
Reporting to the CEO, the Head of Fundraising and Development will provide leadership to the organisation around fundraising and development strategy and implementation. They will manage the small but effective fundraising department with a view to growing the team. They will be responsible for the events and campaigns undertaken by the department and will ensure continuity through contacts with key supporters and stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will have strong leadership and a track record of successfully achieving goals. They will have experience of dealing with a wide range of stakeholders, good interpersonal and teamwork skills, the ability to communicate persuasively, work well under pressure and coordinate wide-ranging stakeholder perspectives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The Head of Fundraising and Development duties include:
- Ensuring the achievement of fundraising goals.
- Provide strategic leadership and direct day to day fundraising involvement and manage the Fundraising Team to develop income streams.
- Develop and manage the implementation of appropriate fundraising strategies, operational plans, budgets and financial planning;
- Lead on significant corporate, trust and high net worth relationships in partnership with the CEO along with the development of a responsive corporate relationship plan and legacy strategy.
- Ensure that Fighting Blindness continues to comply with its legal obligations with regard to fundraising, ensuring adherence with the Code of Fundraising Practice and the Charities Governance Code and maintains its reputation through its fundraising activities.
- Lead on digital engagement and to ensure effective digital fundraising
- Manage the relationship with existing funders and actively pursue new opportunities
- Grow and diversify the team with additional new functions as part of the new strategy.
- Personally manage the accounts of a number of key national and international partnerships.
- Work collaboratively with the CEO in delivering a number of major gifts every year.
- Manage and develop our fundraising team to achieve ambitious but achievable goals.
- Develop new partnerships and a clear pipeline of potential partners, through a planned programme of identification, cultivation, and solicitation supported by a sophisticated strategy.
- Craft proposals that engage large funders and philanthropists to support our work.
- Drive the cultivation and stewardship of the donor portfolio with appropriate support systems.
- Play a key role in improving and developing major gifts and philanthropic learning, experience, culture and techniques within the organisation.
- Play a key role in improving individual giving to increase overall income from individuals.
- Deliver a legacy giving strategy and implement same.
- Ensure best practice is observed re the CRM (RaisersEdge).
- Co-ordinate and manage the department’s budget.
- Compile, report and share regular fundraising activity success, challenges and updates with the CEO, other staff members, the management team, our Board and our volunteers.
- Work closely with the Communications department regarding the website and increased delivery of digital fundraising income.
The following criteria are considered essential:
- Qualification in Marketing/PR/Sales/Events/Business or similar
- At least 5-years’ experience in public or private sector, ideally with non-profit experience
- Proven excellent managerial competence and leadership
- Entrepreneurial attitude and ability to identify, develop and sustain new funding streams
- Demonstrable experience in growing income and knowledge of the fundraising environment.
- Experience of developing ambitious fundraising plans and meeting key performance indicators
- Relevant experience in negotiating large grants or gifts.
- Experience of working with Major Donors / Mid-Level donors / Trust and Foundations / Legacy supporters, successfully bidding for their support and providing ongoing stewardship
- Flexibility, innovation, initiative and a growth mind-set.
- Strong computer skills to include MS Office, and experience CRM/Database systems.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation communication skills.
- Experience in management of staff.
- Experience of developing and maintaining relationships with a wide range of donors.
- Ability to work effectively with other team members.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and good leadership.
Interested candidates should submit a copy of their curriculum vitae and cover letter to Anna Moran at firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business on 30 May 2022.
Fighting Blindness is an equal opportunities employer.