Festina Lente: Financial Controller
Festina Lente Mission Statement
Festina Lente provides a unique range of equestrian and horticultural activities, training, recreational events and employment services options with a strong emphasis on social inclusion, choice and personal development
Job Title: Financial Controller
Location: Old Connaught Avenue, Bray, Co Wicklow
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
Responsible to: Chief Executive Officer
Festina Lente provides a range of programmes that are supported by the Department of Social Protection (Pobal), the Department of Health (HSE) and the Department of Education and Skills (Solas). The main purpose of the position of Financial Controller is to support Festina Lente’s development and growth by providing relevant financial and management information to the business. The position of the Financial Controller is a key position. With the support of two accounts assistants, and reporting to the CEO, the successful candidate will be responsible for the production of financial and management information. The Financial Controller will be responsible and accountable for all finance and ancillary activities and will work with the Board’s Audit & Finance and Governance Committee. The successful candidate will contribute to the strategic direction and sustainability of the organisation while ensuring its vision and core values are upheld. The Financial Controller will work with a team of two accounts assistant staff and will work closely with Departmental Managers.
- Financial and management reporting monthly including : responsibility for
- The production of management accounts and cash flows on a monthly basis, ensuring that they are accurate, completed and issued with a defined time-frame
- Preparation of weekly and monthly payroll
- Management of aged debtors
- Preparation of VAT returns
- File Revenue returns
- Management of fixed assets register
- Management of accruals/prepayments and other internal journals as required
- Budget- To prepare a three-year plan (with support from CEO) to include:
- Detailed budget for next 12 month with outline for following two years
- Underpinned by a financial model which is flexible in terms of input sheets, and which accommodates clear assumptions
- Guide and support the procurement and payment processes for Festina Lente – including the grant approval and payments
- Government funding agencies – liaise with funders in relation to Service Level Agreements and financial returns in line with funders requirements
- Audit – responsible for the relationship with auditors and managing the audit process, including preparing the accounts for audit,
- Evaluate and update Finance policies and procedures
- Compliance –
- Review and ensure that adequate and robust controls are in place and effective
- Produce & provide the required documentation to ensure full compliance for the Charities Regulator
- Ad hoc duties as the needs of the organisation for support from the finance function develops over time
Additional duties include:
- To undertake any other reasonable duties which may be assigned to you by the Chief Executive Officer
Festina Lente is looking for a qualified accountant with at least 5 years full time experience in a similar role. The ideal candidate will have a very good understanding and technical knowledge of SORP accounting and will have demonstrable experience of producing financial and management information to strict timelines. Experience of working within the charity or public sector will be an advantage.
The Financial Controller will need:
- Excellent technical accounting skills
- Excellent MS office skills – (particularly Excel)
- To be a good and confident communicator as the role involves providing support and information to various audiences - internal and external
- To be well organised as the role is varied and good time management skills are required to ensure that the objectives of the role are delivered
- To be a good team player – and be prepared to provide support where and when it is needed so that the overall finance function is successful
- Energetic and ambitious to deliver to set objectives
- Experience of managing and developing teams
- Welcomes change and is committed to encouraging continuous improvement and learning
- Manages workload effectively while responding flexibly to new demands.
- Have the capacity to integrate well with, and contribute to, an evolving organisation
- Experience of working with multiple stakeholders including statutory funders
- An understanding of voluntary sector legal requirements
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Salary: will commensurate with experience
Pension: Employees have access to PRSA scheme
Hours: 39-hour week
Travel & Subsistence: There may be a requirement from time to time to travel outside normal working hours. Travel will be paid in accordance with Festina Lente travel rates in the event that a company vehicle is not available for use.
Annual Leave: Annual leave will be 26 working days, pro rata, exclusive of public holidays. Compulsory annual leave may apply to facilitate closure of services for service user holidays.
Duration of contract: This is a full-time permanent position
Location of the position: Old Connaught Avenue, Bray, Co. Wicklow
HOW TO APPLY
Comprehensive CV and letters of Application should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining relevance of work experience and qualifications as they relate to the key responsibilities as set out in the job specification. Informal enquiries can be made by contacting email@example.com
Closing date of receipt of applications: 31st October 2021
First interviews will be held: week of the 8th of November
Second interviews to be held on as appropriate week of the 15th November
Please note that interviews will consist of a panel
Selection will involve short listing of applicants for interview based on the criteria for the position as outlined in this job description. A panel may be formed from this process.
A file may be formed for future vacancies.
FESTINA LENTE CHILD PROTECTION POLICY / GARDA VETTING / MANDATORY DECLARATION
Garda Vetting for all employees and volunteers is compulsory and those candidates invited for interview will be asked to complete a Garda Vetting form for submission at that time.
The successful candidate will be provided with a copy of the Festina Lente Child Protection Policy and will be required to sign their acceptance of the contents of this document.
A Mandatory Declaration Form must be signed in advance of commencement of employment.
Festina Lente is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes suitably qualified applicants from all sections of society