Muscular Dystrophy Ireland: Family Support Worker, Mid-West & Southern Region
This item has expired, and will soon be unavailable for viewing
Family Support Worker, Mid-West & Southern Region
About the MDI:
Muscular Dystrophy Ireland is a member driven voluntary organisation which aims to provide information and support to people with neuromuscular conditions and their families through a range of support services. MDI’s objective is to promote through practical empowerment, independent living for people with muscular dystrophy.
MDI supports advocating for services to enable people with neuromuscular conditions to fully participate in society and to live a life of their own choosing. MDI also aims to support and fund research into neuromuscular conditions.
Muscular Dystrophy Ireland (MDI) offers a range of support services nationally to persons affected by neuromuscular conditions and their families. The holder of this position will deliver a Family support work and coordinate summer camps provided by MDI to its members in the Western Health Service Executive Area and deliver a Family Support Service providing support to families in the Western and the Midlands Health Service Executive Area.
The ideal candidate will have a good understanding of health and social services and the needs of people living with disabilities. The candidate will have experience of outcome driven advocacy work and experience in the provision of practical support to adults/young people with disabilities and their families. A full clean driving licence is essential to this post.
Location: MDI has two Regional Office one is located in Spina Bifida & Hydrocephalus Association Delta Retail, Ballysimon Road, Co Limerick and the other is currently in the Irish Guide Dogs, Model Farm Road, Cork. The successful candidate can choose which office space is more convenient to their location. The holder of this position will deliver the Family Support Programme in the Mid-West Region (Limerick, Clare and Tipperary ) and the Southern Region (Cork and Kerry).
Reporting to: National Head of Services
Contract Type: Part-Time, One Year Fixed Term Contract covering leave
Family Support Programme
Family & Member Support
- Provide personal contact and support to persons affected by neuromuscular conditions, their families and carers.
- Support members and their families in accessing short term respite care in accordance with the MDI’s Respite Policy.
- Assess the needs of new members and advocate as appropriate.
- Provide information to members and their families on accessing entitlements to financial supports, health care and equipment.
- Network and advocate with the Health Service Executive, Department of Social Protection and all other appropriate statutory and voluntary service providers in liaison with MDI in order to provide adequate service provision for individuals and families.
- Promote the concept of independent living and personal assistance to members and encourage members to participate in opportunities appropriate to their expressed needs.
- Liaise with other organisations and groups to advise on and encourage accessibility for MDI’s members.
- Promote the work of MDI with statutory and other service providers through training, networking and raising awareness.
- Seek opportunities for the provision of activities in employment, education, recreational and well-being driven initiatives.
- Plan and develop a social support network for members.
Event Management/Holiday Programme
- Co-ordinate and attend annual holiday breaks.
- Line-manage staff at holiday breaks and when required.
- Maintain records, expenses and budgets for holiday breaks when required in accordance with organisational policies and procedures
- Assist with personal care on holiday breaks if and when required.
- Organise and plan peer support and learning opportunities and events for members that will develop a social support network for adult members
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team with National MDI staff e.g. fundraising, PR, Administration, Information support etc.
- Provide monthly reports, monitoring data and service evaluations as required by the Head of Services.
- Participate in national fundraising initiatives.
- Participate in internal supervision with the line manager and external one to one and group supervision with a trained accredited professionals.
- Attend team meetings and staff training as required.
- Engage in fundraising initiatives and partake in the annual MDI Awareness Campaign.
- Any other duties that may be required by the organisation to full fill the needs of the post.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience of working with young people and adults with disabilities and or delivering youth/families services to marginalised groups in society.
- Relevant 3rd level qualification.
- Proven ability to plan projects and activities.
- Proven ability to work on own initiative, independently and as part of a wider team.
- 1 – 2 years’ experience of organising and managing people.
- Proven ability to work.
- Experience of report writing and excellent communication skills.
- Excellent administration and time management skills.
- Computer literate (Microsoft Office Suite).
- This post requires flexibility which includes evening and weekend work.
- Due to the nature of this post a Full, clean drivers licence is essential.
- Will need to complete the following training (will be provided by the organisation):
- Manual Handling
- First Aid
- Children’s First Training
- Vulnerable Adult Training
- Gluais Training
- Infection and control Training
- Familiarity with the Irish social, educational and medical systems
- Experience of compiling statistics
- Organised and focussed.
- Determination, flexibility
- Commitment to the aims and goals of Muscular Dystrophy Ireland.
Terms and Conditions
- One Year Fixed Term Contract, covering leave.
- This is a part time position, 20 hours per week, one hour paid break.
- Probation period 6 months
- 21 days annual leave
- 21 days annual leave pro rata
- This post is subject to Garda Clearance
- Salary Scale: Social Care Worker Point 1 €33,130 pro rata which is paid monthly by way of electronic transfer.
- Travel is a key feature of this role and having access to a full clean driving licence.
- Due to the nature of the service, flexible working is a feature of this role and evening and weekend work may be required.
- Being available to attend one week-long camp/holiday programme can be a feature of this role.
- The above position is subject to availability of ongoing funding
Please email your CV and Cover Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date, Friday 15th of Oct 2021.
Shortlisting will be applied.