Waterford Public Participation Network: Support Worker (Part-Time)
Location: The post will be based at the Civic Offices, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford.
Contract type & Duration: 12 month fixed term contract subject to funding and satisfactory completion of a 6-month probationary period.
Hours: 23 hours per week (there is some flexibility with start and finish times which can be discussed at interview stage). The chosen candidate must be flexible and willing to work occasional evenings if required, with time off in lieu.
Salary: 14.28 p/hr
Annual Leave: 20 days annual leave
Travel Expenses: Travelling expenses will be paid where appropriate.
Waterford Public Participation Network (PPN) was established in June 2014, as part of the implementation of the Reform of Local Government Act. It is administered by an 11-member Secretariat drawn from the five Municipal Districts in the county and the Community & Voluntary, Environmental and Social Inclusion pillars. Waterford PPN is coordinated by two staff, one in its Dungarvan Office and one in its Waterford City office.
The aims of Waterford PPN are:
To enable people, groups and organisations within the community & voluntary, environmental and social inclusion sectors to give voice to a diverse range of views and interests within the local government system and participate in policy making and oversight activities.
To strengthen the ability of people, groups and organisations to contribute in a positive way to the community in which they reside or are active within.
To act as an information hub for local community and voluntary, environmental and social inclusion groups and organisations.
Waterford PPN provides a structure through which its member groups can have a voice on the local authority’s policy making and oversight committees. It also provides its member groups with opportunities for networking, learning, communication and sharing of information.
- Waterford PPN Coordinators
- Waterford PPN HR Committee
The key duty of the Support Worker is to support the PPN co-coordinators in their functions in developing the PPN as an effective structure to promote public engagement and participation via the Community & Voluntary, Environmental and Social Inclusion sectors in accordance with relevant Department of Rural and Community Development circulars and the PPN Handbook (https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/9db5e3-ppn-handbook/ )
- The key duty of the PPN Support Worker is to support the PPN Coordinators in their functions in developing the PPN as an effective structure to promote public engagement and participation via the environmental, social inclusion and community and voluntary sectors
- Organise and attend meetings, provide reports and any other reasonable tasks as directed.
- Network and engage with the community organisations and the local authority to develop the PPN as the reference point for the environmental, community and voluntary and social inclusion sectors in Waterford and to further the aims of the PPN
- Maintain the Salesforce database as an active and accurate register of member groups
- Support the implementation of a communications strategy to include production and distribution of a regular newsletter for members
- Manage the PPN website and maintain social media accounts.
- Promote the PPN and its work to member groups, the wider community and stakeholders
- Prepare materials for meetings, workshops, surveys etc.
- Assist the preparation of financial accounts and payments.
- Work as may be required on evenings.
- Any other work which may be assigned by the Coordinators on the day to day operation of the PPN.
- Excellent IT & administration skills, including Outlook, MS Word, Excel & Power Point, social networking, website maintenance etc.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Public Participation Network
- Excellent communication skills including fluency in written and spoken English
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work on own initiative and to consult where appropriate
- Full clean driving licence & access to own transport
- Relevant 3rd level qualification or substantial work experience in a relevant area
- Knowledge and understanding of Salesforce database or Customer relations Management systems, survey monkey, zoom, Eventbrite etc
- Report writing skills
- Understanding of the public sector and the local government sector
- Experience of working with community and voluntary organisations and voluntary committees
The support worker will be a highly motivated person, with a strong sense of commitment to the ideas and values inherent in the work of the PPN. Knowledge and experience in community development would be advantageous.
Applications will only be accepted through the online process where you will be required to upload your CV to be received no later than 5pm Friday 13th August.
No need to forward any cover letter, Certificates or References
Applicants will be short listed with interviews to follow in due course
It is the policy of Waterford PPN to contact your current or most recent employer (if applicable)
Referees will be contacted only after interview
Canvassing will disqualify
Waterford PPN is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
Any queries about the position can be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information on Waterford PPN see www.waterfordppn.ie