Dublin Simon Community: Support Worker - Bray/Wicklow
Support Worker - Bray & Wicklow
At Dublin Simon Community, we are passionate about making home a reality. Our aim is to empower people to access and retain a home by providing housing, prevention, addiction treatment, emergency response and other targeted interventions, through advocacy and partnership. If you share our values and want to make a difference also, come talk to us at Dublin Simon Community.
About the job
As a Support Worker, you’ll have the opportunity to work across the services in the Dublin Simon Community, Wicklow Services (Bray and Wicklow towns). You’ll report to the Services Manager. Many Employees who have started on the flexible contract, have moved into support and project worker roles. As well as our induction program, you will be provided with 10 training days throughout the year, ensuring you have the support and training to succeed in this role.
- Support the project/keyworkers and management in the implementation of operational and strategic goals; following up on support plan actions, supporting the service user to achieve their goals.
- Deliver the personal, professional, and social development program.
- Provide care interventions and daily living skills support including showering, incontinence support, and toileting, laundry, cleaning, etc.
- Assistance in managing medication/health regimes, accessing primary and secondary healthcare, liaising with GP and Pharmacists, methadone providers, arranging doctor’s/healthcare appointments, and accompanying them to appointments.
- Conduct harm reduction interventions; overdose prevention, stabilisation.
- Managing complex and challenging behaviour including impacts of dementia and confusion, crisis and conflict management, and ensuring residents adhere to accommodation agreements.
- Therapeutic and diversionary interventions providing emotional and motivational support, promoting positive mental health attitudes, self-esteem and self-respect.
- Process all incoming enquiries and referrals to the accommodation of service users.
- Support service users to liaise with landlords and facilitate when moving location.
- Ensure consistent handovers, diary, incident reports, and follow-ups, in accordance with organisation policies.
- Accommodation management; ensuring routine maintenance is carried out, cleaning, security inspections, and bedroom health and safety inspections occur, in line with operational procedures and standards.
- BA/BS degree (level 7 or 8) in Psychology, Community Development, Counselling, Social Care, Social Work, or similar.
- 2 years experience working in a social or caring setting.
- Understanding of why people become homeless and the needs they have.
- Recordkeeping, report writing
- IT skills including Microsoft, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook
- Client-focused, adaptable, accountable, resilient individual.
- Excellent communicator, with the ability to advocate on the client’s behalf.
- Ability to manage challenging behaviour, whilst being respectful and professional.
- Health & Safety training
- Full driver’s license
- Passion for helping people, with the ability to work in an agile environment and problem-solve.
- Experience in working with vulnerable and disadvantaged groups.
- Experience in carrying out Health & Safety inspections and audits
Working Hours: 37.5 hours per week. 25 days’ annual leave. Hours will depend on the service.
Location: Bray & Wicklow towns. Public transport is available within walking distance: DART, Buses. Car parking is available in services.
Note: The duties listed in this job description are not exhaustive and you may be expected to perform other duties as are reasonable in the course of your work with Dublin Simon Community.
Application due date: 27/06/2021
For queries relating to this position please telephone (01) 635 4800