Sophia Housing Association: Senior Finance Officer
SOPHIA HOUSING ASSOCIATION
JOB DESCRIPTION & PERSON SPECIFICATION
Job Title: Senior Finance Officer
Location: Sophia Housing, Cork Street, Dublin 8
Reporting to: Assistant Finance Manager
Hours: 32 hrs per week/4 Days
Sophia is a national organisation that has been supporting people as they emerge from homelessness since 1997. Responding to an ever-growing need in Ireland, Sophia supported 1,034 people in 2019 which is an increase of 100% in the number of people supported since 2016.
Sophia is a niche service provider for two reasons; Firstly, it sees the provision of home of one’s own as the primary response to homelessness and the intervention that Sophia is exclusively focused on. Secondly as an Approved Housing Body, its core mission is to provide homes for individuals, couples and families who not only need a home but also present with other support needs.
Sophia recognises that homelessness can have a traumatic impact on people and that services need to be designed and delivered in a trauma informed way.
To assist the Assistant Finance Manager in planning, organising, managing and co-ordinating the efficient operation of the finance function of Sophia.
To oversee the specific areas within the finance function and supervise the work of the finance assistant.
Key Responsibilities Accounts Payable
- Responsible for ensuring that all invoices are processed in line with the organisations procurement process.
- Ensure accurate coding and posting of invoices to the Finance system and overseeing the work of the Finance Assistant in relation to this.
- Preparation and review of expenditure schedules on a monthly basis. Able to prepare accounting accruals & provision information for recording in GL as accruals & prepayments and on a timely basis
- Prepare payment batches by EFT and by cheque, providing supporting documentation for approval of payments.
- Perform month-end creditor reconciliations and ensure that all creditor listings are in line with trial balance.
- Able to resolve reconciliation problems or reconciliation issues.
- Provide creditor analysis and reports to the Senior Financial Accountant & Assistant Finance Manager on a monthly basis.
- Maintain filing/record keeping system.
Banks & Cash Processes – petty cash
- Ensure that all bank transactions are recorded accurately and posted correctly to the Finance system for a number of bank accounts
- Ensure that petty cash transactions are recorded accurately and posted correctly to the Finance system and oversee the work of the Finance Assistant in relation to this.
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations and ensure that Reconciliations are in line with trial balance.
- Bank reconciliation reports to the Senior Financial Accountant on monthly basis.
- Responsible for the recording, processing, verification and reporting on donations received.
- Maintain appropriate records and documentation for all donations.
Management Accounts, Financial Accounts & Annual Audit
- Assisting with the month end process and ensure that all Control Account reconciliations align with the month end trial balance.
- Assist with the preparation of the annual audit file & respond to requests for information during the Audit.
- Assist with logging and onward distribution of post
- Assist with Payroll when other staff are on leave
- Strong attention to detail.
- Positive can-do attitude
- Strong administrative, numeric and analytical skills.
- Ability to deal with a high volume of transactions with experience in reconciliations between accounts and other systems.
- Strong organisational skills and adaptability in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to multi- task and prioritise.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to work on your own initiative and as part of a team.
- Systems experience; accounting packages (Sage experience is a distinct advantage), working knowledge of Microsoft applications; excel is essential. Experience in the Charity industry is an advantage but not essential.
- Full or Part Qualified Accounting Technician is an advantage.
- 5 years plus general accounting experience with a busy accounts team is essential.
Please forward a Cover Letter and CV to Recruitment@sophia.ie
The closing date for receipt of applications is Wednesday, June 23rd 2021