Sophia Housing Association: Healthcare Assistant (Part-Time)
SOPHIA HOUSING ASSOCIATION
JOB DESCRIPTION & PERSON SPECIFICATION
Job Title: Part time Healthcare Assistant
Location: Sophia Housing, Tallaght, Dublin 24
Sophia is a national organisation that has been supporting people as they emerge from homelessness since 1997. Responding to an ever-growing need in Ireland, Sophia supported 1,034 people in 2019 which is an increase of 100% in the number of people supported since 2016.
Sophia is a niche service provider for two reasons; Firstly, it sees the provision of home of one’s own as the primary response to homelessness and the intervention that Sophia is exclusively focused on. Secondly as an Approved Housing Body, its core mission is to provide homes for individuals, couples and families who not only need a home but also present with other support needs.
Sophia recognises that homelessness can have a traumatic impact on people and that services need to be designed and delivered in a trauma informed way.
Reporting to: Project Manager
Contract: Fixed term – 12 months
Hours@ 20 hours per week (Monday to Sunday, mainly evenings and weekends)
The successful candidate will work on a daily basis with one family coming from homelessness. The duties and responsibilities are unique and varied because the people we support all have unique needs.
Whilst this can be a very diverse role, the key focus is always on supporting a person to lead a fulfilling and more independent life.
- To have regard for the objectives and ethos of Sophia Housing.
- To work as a member of the Support Team under the supervision of the Project Manager.
- To work in a holistic way with family members and individuals as appropriate to their needs.
- Providing emotional support to individuals and their families.
- Providing personal care to individuals.
- Providing practical support to individuals and their families, such as helping with household tasks
- Completing paper work daily
- Supporting individuals to pursue hobbies and interests.
- Teaching life skills, such as budgeting and paying bills.
- Helping with everyday tasks such as meal preparation, writing a shopping list, going shopping or maintaining their housing tenancy.
- Helping individuals to access community facilities and be included in community groups.
- To be vigilant to any Health, Safety and Welfare risks in the workplace and bring any concerns to the attention of your line manager.
- To undertake other work that may be assigned to you from time to time.
- A Minimum qualification of Level 5 HCA QQI Care Skills and Level 5 QQI Care of the Elderly.
- At least one year’s experience working with this client group
- An understanding of the issues affecting people who are homeless
- Knowledge around child protection issues, mental health issues and addiction
- The ability to work on own initiative
- Proficient IT Skills and knowledge with a database
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills both verbal and written are essential.
- To have excellent report writing and record keeping skills
- Full clean driving licence
Appointment is subject to satisfactory references and Garda Vetting.
Please forward a Cover Letter and CV to Recruitment@sophia.ie
The closing date for receipt of applications is Friday, March 5th 2021