Traveller Visibility Group: Roma Education Worker
Roma Education Worker
Tusla Education Support Services (TESS) has secured additional funding for the Cork Pilot NTRIS Education Programme. We are currently recruiting for an extra Roma Education Worker. We invite all interested candidates to read below for further application information. The Mahon/Blackrock School Completion Programme will administer the post.
Please contact Dan O’Shea on firstname.lastname@example.org for any further queries on these roles.
The Organisation and Project
The Traveller Visibility Group (TVG) is the host organization of the Traveller and Roma Education programme in Cork. The programme was created from the actions agreed in the National Traveller and Roma Inclusion Strategy (NTRIS). The partners on the NTRIS programme are Tusla, The Department of Justice, The Department of Education and Skills, and The Department of Equality Children Disability Inclusion and Youth. The programme currently employs one Traveller Education Worker, one Roma Education Worker and one Home School Community Liaison Teacher. A team of existing Educational Welfare Officers work in tandem with the NTRIS Team. A Senior Educational Welfare Officer will line manage the successful candidate.
The Role and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the Roma Community in identifying and addressing the difficulties experienced by this community in the education system. A Senior Educational Welfare Officer will line manage the successful candidate.
- Building relationships with local Roma communities and concerned agencies to create clear communication networks to ensure participation from Roma community to inform the Education Pilot programme.
- Promoting and representing the work of the pilot to local representative organizations and education partners.
- Contribute fully to the development of the local area Education Pilot programme plan and to the implementation of the plan.
- Undertake tasks agreed by the pilot team appropriate to the skills of the education support worker.
- Focus exclusively on the work of the pilot action plan.
- Leaving Certificate or QQI Level 5 or equivalent qualification.
- Experience of working in the statutory, community or voluntary sectors particularly with the Roma communities.
- Experience of working as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with other staff as part of a team and build relationships both within the team and with external stakeholders.
- Strong organizational analysis and problem solving abilities
- Ability to identify possible challenges, plan ahead and be willing to think creatively.
- Be accountable and responsible for own work within in the projects and have the ability to follow through and complete tasks.
- Excellent time management and team work skills.
- Commitment to the delivery of a quality service in the project.
- Strong reading, writing and computer literacy
- Contract duration: End of School Year 2022
- Hours: 37 hours per week
- Annual Leave: 24 days per annum (pro rata)
- Salary scale: €32,643 per annum - €35,523 per annum (pro rata)
- Location: Cork City
To apply for these positions please send in your CV and Cover letter to email@example.com by 12 noon on Friday January 22nd
Selected applicants will be contacted by January 29th for interview on the week of February 8th. Given current Covid-19 restrictions it may be necessary to conduct the interview via video link.