The Glen Resource Centre: Health Action Zone Community Gardener
The Glen Community Garden wish to recruit for the post of Community Gardener.
Established in 2008 as part of a broader Health Action Zone Food Focus initiative, The Glen Community Garden aim is to assist local people and communities, gain access to quality, fresh fruit and vegetables, across the Northside Rapid areas of Cork City using Community Development principles to guide this work with the garden itself located within the grounds of The Glen Resource Centre.
Over this period of time the development of the garden has been overseen by a core group of volunteers supported by a horticulturist advisor which has seen on going resources made available to ensure its overall development and sustainability.
The Community Gardener will have a key role in sustaining and building on the existing range of food growing and biodiversity enhancing projects at the centre.
The community setting encourages the role to innovate and include, while enhancing local ecosystem services through partnership and collaboration across the local community garden network within the Health Action Zones and Community Health Projects. The Community Gardener will bring significant community garden knowledge in organic food growing practice, distribution and social innovation while also demonstrating a motivation to empower and activate community projects that inspire connection with community residents, volunteers, groups local schools, vulnerable communities and staff at the centre.
Post: Health Action Zone Community Gardener
Employer: The Glen Resource Centre
Location: The Glen Resource Centre, Glen Avenue, Cork City and off-site as required
Reporting to: The Glen Resource Centre General Manager and HAZ designated person.
Hours: 26 hours with additional (this will include 5 hours allocated to wider social inclusion)
Terms: Fixed term contract of one year (with a 3 month probation). This is subject to satisfactory references and completion of Garda vetting.
Salary: Annual Salary €23,280 (Pro rata)
- To progress the development of the community garden working closely with existing horticulture advisor, Community garden coordinator volunteers and staff.
- To utilise organic gardening practices
- To maintain good environmental, health and safety practices when carrying out duties
- To apply and share horticulture knowledge and experience
- To participate in learning about the Community Health model and linking community gardening to the wider social, health and environmental benefits
- To participate in supervision and training as required
- Minimum requirements Level 5 or higher in FETAC accredited horticulture education
- Previous market gardening or food growing experience (min 2 years)
- Knowledge of organic practices and community garden concept
- Demonstrable skills working as part of a team and with the community
- Commitment to social inclusion and equality
- The community gardener must be self-motivated, responsible and trustworthy.
- To be able to change and adapt depending on needs, resources, and direction of the garden.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the community garden and all who use it.
To apply please submit your CV & two reference contacts via email to:
General Manager, Glen Resource Centre -
Closing date for applications for the above position: 5 pm 4th December 2020
Interviews to take place on the week beginning 14th December - subject to government guidelines.