West Limerick Resources: Social Farming Regional Development Officer
Regional Network Development Officer
West Limerick Resources CLG wishes to recruit a Social Farming Development officer for our South West Regional Network (Clare Limerick Cork Kerry and North Tipperary).
Social Farming is an outcome focused, support placement for people on a farm or with a grower using the natural assets of the people, the place, the activities and the community to support a person to achieve some of their own chosen goals. Social Farming is the practice of offering activity on family farms as a form of social support service and these supports are available and accessible to a range of people in that area including those with disabilities, those in recovery from mental ill health, people who are long term unemployed, refugees & asylum seekers, young people at risk, older people and others. In Social Farming the farm remains a working farm at its core but invites people to participate in the normal day to day activities of the farm. The Social Farming National Office was opened in April 2015 by Leitrim Integrated Development Company CLG with the assistance of the Department of Agriculture Food & the Marine and the CEDRA Fund. West Limerick Resources CLG are contracted to develop the Social Farming Network in the South West Region by Leitrim Development Company CLG under this initiative.
As Regional Development Officer, you will be required to maintain and develop, in a structured manner, the Social Farming Network among the many stakeholder groups, which include the farmers and growers in the region, the groups of potential participants, providers, agencies and advocates particularly in the Intellectual Disability, and the Mental Health Sector. You will be required to manage Social Farming placements on farms in line with the processes and procedures in place and seek continuous improvement and development of these. As outlined above, a significant part of your work will be working with Health and Social Care Providers to inform them about Social Farming and build relationships towards commissioning, i.e., contracting Social Farming support on farms.
The work requires someone with a good understanding of Health and Social Care Provision (Social Farming), Rural Development and the issues pertaining to both the service users/project participants and farming families.
The region – South West to include the counties of Clare, Limerick, Cork, Kerry and North Tipperary.
Social Farming Development Officer – key responsibilities
- Work within West Limerick Resources CLG at a regional Level and work nationally with the National Project Manager / National Project Coordinator of Social farming Ireland (SoFI) Network in Leitrim Integrated Development Co. CLG on the implementation of the project work packages. The Manager and Co-ordinator will provide support and guidance on all aspects of the development and maintenance of the Social Farming Network.
- Develop, facilitate and drive strategic collaborative partnerships and networks focused on developing appropriate initiatives to support the development of Social Farming in the region.
- Build strong working relationships with key stakeholders in the health & social care sectors.
- Provide support to farmers & farm families to participate in the programme, which may include leading, participating in, or assisting with various elements of the process such as provision of information, guidance, mentoring.
- Plan/organise regional events (workshops, meetings, seminars and study visits) associated with the development work in all counties of the region.
- Understand, be aware of and comply with all issues regarding safeguarding and health and safety for farmers and social farming participants.
- Attend any compulsory training organised by the team and participate in other training events or courses relevant to your role.
- Communicate and report to project management on all aspects of the Network Development and attend Management and team meetings usually held in Tullamore.
- Any other duties as designated by the CEO of West Limerick Resources, the National Project Manager / National Project Coordinator under the Contract.
Full training and induction to the post will be provided with Leitrim Development Company.
The successful candidate will be:
- Well organised and results driven
- Non judgemental, empathetic and have a person centred approach.
- Have experience working with people who are excluded, the disability or mental health sectors and/ or the farming community.
- Project management experience
- Interpersonal and communication skills necessary to establish trusting relationships with all stakeholder groups and encourage engagement with the service.
- Good organisational skills both for own work and network events within the region.
- Good administrative skills, finance, I.T., recording and reporting, and attention to detail.
- Influencing and negotiating skills.
- Teamwork; work as an employee of a results driven Local Development Company and at a national level be a positive contributor to small dynamic national team who deliver the Social Farming Network under SoFI to deliver Social Farming practice.
- A knowledge of health & social care policy and an understanding of linking Social Farming practice to policy.
- Third Level qualification and/or relevant project management experience in health & social care, and/ or rural and community development and or social inclusion.
- Demonstrable capacity of practical programme delivery
- Some evidence of working creatively in a collaborative manner across sectors including social care services.
- Able to work outside of normal office hours on occasions and travel across the region frequently.
- Full clean driving licence with own transport.
Location: Position will be based in the company’s office in Newcastle West, Limerick with a significant outreach and travel element across Clare, Limerick, Cork, Kerry and North Tipperary.
Hours per week: 35 hours /week
Duration: An initial fixed term contract up to 31’st October 2021 is being offered.
Applications: Cover Letter and completed application form, marked Social Farming CONFIDENTIAL to- The CEO, West Limerick Resources, St Marys Road, Newcastle West, Co Limerick, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 5pm on Wednesday 2nd December 2020
Interview Date: Week commencing Monday 14/12/2020
Remuneration: €32,182 per annum pro rata
Shortlisting may apply. A panel may be formed from which future positions can be filled.
West Limerick Resources CLG is an equal opportunities employer.