West Limerick Resources: Rathkeale Community Development Officer
Name of Employer: West Limerick Resources CLG
Job Title: Rathkeale Community Development Officer
Number of Hours: Full-time 35 hours per week (evening and weekend work may be a feature of this position) Part-time option may also be considered
Location: Based in Rathkeale
Reporting to: Company Manager
Contract Duration: An initial 12 month fixed term contract is being offered
Remuneration: €39,825 per annum pro rata
West Limerick Resources wishes on behalf of the Rathkeale Pre Social Cohesion Committee to recruit a Community Development Officer to support the work of the Committee.
The Pre Social Cohesion project is a faith-based initiative of the Catholic, Church of Ireland and Methodist churches in partnership with West Limerick Resources. It builds on the common ground of shared beliefs and values both communities, settled and Traveller hold. The Pre Social Cohesion Committee has been established over six years and is made up of representatives of the three churches, representatives of the local community, settled and Traveller and the Local Development Company West Limerick Resources.
The overall aim of this initiative is to develop momentum towards community cohesion and to enable and develop community leaders who have a shared vision for community reconciliation, mediation and community cohesion. As part of this it is also intended to engage with Statutory Agencies and Limerick City & County Council, raising greater awareness of the need for social cohesion and how more participatory approaches will facilitate it.
The following objectives have been identified arising from the previous work of the Committee and it is envisaged that these will provide a structure to future workings of the Pre Social Cohesion Committee and the Community Development Officer’s position:
- To facilitate the development of Ráth Caola Le Chéile to become the self-directing drivers of the social cohesion agenda in Rathkeale
- To work with Rathkeale Community Council in the delivery of this programme of activity
- To create awareness among the wider Rathkeale community of the existence and progress of the Rathkeale Pre Social Cohesion project and to attract greater participation in it particularly among the settled community
- To stimulate community discourse on the issues of social cohesion, integration, and interculturalism in Rathkeale
- To dialogue and explore with parish and diocesan authorities the potential and possibilities of developing pastoral approaches that will foster social cohesion in Rathkeale
- To initiate on-going dialogue with the relevant Statutory Agencies and Local Authority, both with the elected representatives and with senior officers, regarding social cohesion in Rathkeale and how more participatory approaches to their work will contribute to cohesion.
- To implement an “on the ground” partnership with the Church Representatives responsible for Rathkeale within the context of the programme and policies as defined by the Committee
- To form and develop relationships with individuals and organisations working in Rathkeale and maintain such relationships as already exist
- To report and be responsible to the regular meetings of the Committee concerning the policies, programmes, and projects that s/he has been tasked to implement or assist in implementing
- To attend the regular meetings of the Committee and within these meetings will be expected to contribute to the identification, refinement or creation of projects and programmes which will further the objectives of the Committee. Initial indicative projects identified by the Committee to date, that the staff member should assist in planning and implementing include:
- Community Celebration of Christmas
- Community Celebration of St. Patrick’s Day
- Community Celebration of Easter
- Community Celebration of Harvest
- To monitor the need for advocacy and support for those Travellers with problems of literacy
- To develop and assist with the implementation of a community mediation training initiative
- To represent the Committee where appropriate locally, regionally and nationally
- To identify and source funding which assists in the development of new initiatives as requested
- To undertake any other duties as may be assigned from time to time in pursuance of the specific aims and objectives of the Rathkeale Pre Social Cohesion Committee
Principal Qualifications & Experience:
- A third level qualification in Community Development, Sociology or equivalent
- A minimum of two years’ experience working in local and community development.
Experience, capacities and attributes of the successful candidate:
- Clear understanding of the dynamics of rural community and voluntary groups
- Well-developed negotiation, networking and facilitation skills with the ability to build relationships effectively across all sectors
- Experience in working with the Traveller Community will be an advantage
- Experience of working on multi-agency collaboration
- Experience of project management, including report writing and budgeting
- Excellent analytical skills and an understanding of and commitment to Community Development principles
- Proven ability to work as part of a team as well as on own initiative and respond effectively to changing needs and priorities
- Empathy for the faith-based communities involved in the project and an understanding of church structures and ecumenical dialogue.
- Ability to identify and design new solutions
- Effective time management skills and ability to multi-task
- Excellent interpersonal and strong communication skills both written and verbal
- Strong IT skills
- Self-organisation and motivation
- Full clean driving licence and access to transport
- Availability to work unsocial hours
The Rathkeale Community Development Officer will be given direction by the Committee with West Limerick Resources being the Employer and providing direct line management. Position will be based in Rathkeale.
Submission: Cover letter together with a completed application form should be marked confidential and sent to:
West Limerick Resources CLG,
St. Mary’s Rd,
Tel (069) 62222, Fax: (069) 61870.
or emailed to email@example.com
Application forms are available by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or 069-62222..
Closing Date: 5pm Wednesday 2nd December 2020
Candidates may be shortlisted for interview. A panel may be formed from which future similar vacancies will be filled. Interviews to be held the week commencing Monday 14th December 2020.
West Limerick Resources CLG is committed to a Policy of Equal Opportunity.