The Iveagh Trust: Care Assistant (Fixed Term) x 2
Care Assistant (Fixed Term)
The Iveagh Hostel is the largest and oldest independent Hostel in Ireland, currently accommodating 195 men in single rooms. Established in 1905, its purpose has remained constant – to give safe haven to men, who need it, respecting their autonomy and privacy.
While the Hostel’s primary purpose is to provide clean and safe accommodation as well as to meet other basic requirements (food, access to laundry facilities etc.), Hostel staff, including Care Assistants, can have a vital role in supporting more vulnerable residents and be a personal support for residents, if in need of advice or when in difficulty.
Position: Care Assistant Roles x 2 (Fixed Term – 6 months)
Location: Bride Road, Dublin 8
Reporting to: Supervisors
Hours: The working week is 39 hours, with daytime shifts (Morning: 8.00a.m. - 5.00p.m. and 1.30p.m. - 9.30p.m.) but also the post holder may be required to cover night shifts (9:15p.m. - 8:30a.m.) at short notice.
The Hostel is open 24/7 and staffed at all times; working hours include public holidays, weekends and unsocial hours.
Contract:Fixed Term – 6 Months
Annual Leave:22 days per annum, provided on a pro-rata basis for this Fixed Term contract.
Skills / Experience:
- A demonstrable caring attitude/approach.
- Basic ability to write notes/maintain records
- Competence in the use of Microsoft Office Applications.
- Health and Safety qualifications (First Aid, Fire Prevention, HACCP)
- Qualifications in Social Care (minimum Level 6)
- Knowledge & understanding of the impact of addictions & recovery approaches
- 1 year’s experience (minimum) of client record keeping & incident reporting
Attitude / Knowledge:
- Basic understanding of the factors that lead to people becoming homeless
- Understanding of professional boundaries and how to maintain them
- A can-do attitude and a willingness to do whatever is required to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all in the Hostel
- Flexibility and a willingness to be part of a team
- Honesty and integrity and a capacity to work without supervision
Principal tasks & responsibilities:
- To help ensure the safety of all who use the Hostel (Residents, staff and all visitors) by complying fully with all relevant Health and Safety procedures and obligations
- To support all residents of the Hostel, if and when required, in relation to:
- When they arrive to ensure a sense of welcome and are fully inducted into the Hostel (especially in relation to fire safety and emergency) procedures.
- Support needs, offering empathy and understanding,
- Applying Hostel rules, in accordance with the Iveagh Trust’s ethos
- Mobility issues (and occasionally personal care issues)
- Information regarding local services and agencies
- Maintenance and cleanliness of bedrooms
- Hostel charges and residents’ obligations
- Moving rooms within the hostel and/or when resident leaves the hostel
- To ensure the Hostel is kept clean to the highest standards (using the required equipment, cleaning products and PPE), with particular attention to communal areas, including corridors, stairwells, toilets and showers
- To adhere fully to Hostel Safety procedures, especially in regard to checks and recording
- To help the kitchen staff in serving meals and cleaning
- To complete the scheduled deep cleaning of rooms, as instructed
- To stand in for and support the cleaning staff, if required.
This list is indicative and not exhaustive. Care Assistant Staff may be required to undertake additional tasks, commensurate with the role.
These roles are necessary due to the extra responsibilities related to the current pandemic and so they are not intended to be permanent posts.
Applications must include the job reference code: HCA002
Please send an up to date CV along with cover letter outlining your suitability for the post to:
Shane Bradley, The Hostel Manager,
The Iveagh Hostel
Dublin D08 R7DX
Or, by email to: email@example.com
Closing date for applications is: Close of business on Wednesday 30th September 2020
Replies only to selected interviewees.
The Iveagh Trust is an Equal Opportunities Employer.