Donegal Travellers Project: Community Development, Policy and Communications Worker
Are you interested in joining a dynamic and innovative human rights organisation?
Donegal Travellers Project are recruiting for the position of a
Community Development, Policy and Communications Worker
Overall purpose of the post
Community Development, Policy and Communications Worker (CD, P&C) will work as part of the Donegal Travellers Project. This is an exciting role developing and delivering on a community development approach to promoting equality, human rights, social justice and interculturalism with and for the Traveller community.
Planning and Delivery:
- The CD, P&C worker is responsible for designing, delivering, organising, coordinating and evaluating the Intercultural Training Initiative including anti-racism and cultural awareness training.
- Work with the management team within DTP to develop community development responses to issues impacting on the Traveller community locally, regionally and nationally with consideration to the social determinants of health.
- The CD, P&C worker will advocate and seek to influence policies and systems through submissions, letters and support cases for Traveller families in the county using a Human rights approach.
- The CD, P&C worker will be responsible for designing, developing and delivering on the communications strategies for Donegal Travellers Project. This will include the preparation of annual reports.
- Developing positive working relationships with the Traveller community across Donegal and DTP staff teams.
- To act as a representative of Donegal Travellers Project in participative democracy forums/spaces representing the needs and interests of the Traveller community.
- Developing culturally appropriate local actions in response to crisis as they may impact on the Traveller community eg: accommodation/homelessness.
- Working with the team to design and develop adult and community education programmes.
- Develop innovative initiatives with staff teams which promote Traveller Pride, Identity, History, Culture and community events.
- CD,P&C worker will prepare monthly work reports for the board and other work related reports and documents as required by funders.
- Maintaining all files and documentation relevant to the work in line with data protection.
- The worker will develop funding applications with relevant other staff to support the overall work of the organisation.
- A relevant Third level qualification eg: Community Development/Human Rights or A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a community development role.
- Have a commitment of social justice, equality and human rights
- Good planning, organisational and administrative skills
- Excellent communication skills including ability to produce reports and press releases
- Excellent interpersonal skills & teamwork including IT skills
- Experience or accreditation in training, development and facilitation
The Community Development, Policy and Communications worker will carry out any other task relevant to the role as advised by the Project Management team.
This job is a full time position. The worker will be based at Port House, Port Road, Letterkenny and there will be an opportunity for hybrid working.
The CD, P&C worker will be compliant with good governance, Children’s First legislation, data protection and risk management. Must have a full driving license and access to a car where DTP is indemnified on insurance. All staff must complete Garda Vetting and meet requirements under Children First and service level agreements. Salary will be in line with the salary scale for Donegal Travellers Project. This post is initially funded through DCEDIY.