Traveller Visibility Group: Traveller Community Health Worker
Traveller Community Health Worker
TVG would like to invite applications from members of the Traveller Community to work in the role of Traveller Community Health Worker to support the general work of the TVG health team. This will suit a person who has a passion for social justice, challenging racism and human rights.
Main Responsibilities of the post:
- To work with the local community and voluntary sector and appropriate staff of the HSE CHO 4 in the identification and definition of local health issues and exploring methods of enhancing the local delivery of health service.
- To work closely with the TVG health team to help achieve the goals set out in the health team work plan and to provide reports, as requested of the work carried out.
- To support Traveller participation in health issues and services.
- To develop and support links and relationships between public services in Cork City and the Traveller Community
- To develop and facilitate adult and young Traveller groups across the city to promote health and the social determinants of health through information sharing and organising special events.
- To support and assist with the organisation of workshops, special projects and events throughout the year for the Traveller community.
- Work with the TVG project to engage and develop initiatives for the community relating to health, culture, education, employment and training.
- To support the TVG Development Workers to deliver accommodation issues support to the Traveller Community.
- To make referrals to other services on behalf of members of the Traveller community.
- To represent the TVG on health-based and accommodation committees and presentations.
This role may require the employee to take on further tasks throughout the course of the contract as directed by the TVG Co-Directors. The Traveller Health Care Worker will be supported through ongoing supervision and direction provided by the TVG Traveller Health Coordinator.
- At least 1 year experience of volunteering/ leading groups or working in the community with health initiatives
- Relevant training or experience in community work, leadership and/or health and social care experience.
- A good level of literacy skills (reading and writing) is a necessary requirement.
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Good Communication skills
- An understanding of confidentiality practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of Traveller health issues and policies
- Previous experience of facilitating groups or workshops.
- An understanding of issues and challenges facing other minority groups.
- Past work experience in a community development project.
- A broad understanding of how health is affected by racism, poverty and other socials differences.
Reporting to: TVG Traveller Health Coordinator
Place of work: Traveller Visibility Group, 25 Lower John Street, Cork City and within the community
Hours of work: 17.5-22 hours per week requiring evening and some weekend work
Contract: Permanent contract subject to successful completion of 6 month probationary period.
Salary: €33,670 pro rata (FTE: full time equivalent)
Start Date: Immediate start possible.
CV and letter of interest outlining why you feel you would be suitable for the position by no later than 5pm on Thursday 13th May to Eileen O’Shea, TVG Director of Operations by sending an email to: email@example.com. Any questions on this job please call Eileen O’Shea on 0871301756.
Interviews will be held on Wednesday 19th May via Zoom online video call.