International Organization for Migration: Project Assistant
VN 2020 – IE 2020-11
Open to External and Internal Candidates
Position Title : Project Assistant
Duty Station : Dublin, Ireland
Classification : G4
Type of Appointment : SST 9 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 22.01.2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. External and internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
The PROTECT II project, will contribute to the coordination and/or adaptation of support services for sexual and gender-based violence to include migrants and suspected victims of Trafficking in Persons (TiP). It will strengthen and adapt existing national support services for improved inclusion of migrants. The project will aim to provide an effective and contextualized knowledge base with improved intercultural competence, awareness, and sensitivity to enhance responses to and referrals of GBV and Trafficking in Persons (TIP). The project will ultimately build the capacity of professionals who work with/for migrants, to identify and address the needs of (potential) victims of SGBV and trafficking more effectively and to provide a culturally sensitive support to GBV survivors and victims of trafficking in persons within the migrant community and other minority groups and through the training and use of cultural mediators. It will allow victims of TiP and GBV access information and effectively engage with support services and referral source. In doing so, Government stakeholders will be in a position to provide GBV and trafficking in persons support services that are effective, efficient and accessible to all victims of GBV and TiP. The project will work with State authorities, first responder and service providers as well as migrants themselves.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission and the overall management of the Senior Protection Assistant Manager, as defined by the programmes remit, the Project Assistant will be responsible for all duties related to the implementation of the programme in order to achieve its defined outcomes and results.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist the Project Manager in organizing national stakeholder meetings, steering committee and interagency working groups at various locations in Ireland to contribute to the development of the capacity building project components.
- Assist the Project Manager in organizing and participating in the delivery of capacity-building cultural competency trainings and information sessions with the support of the cultural competency and expert consultant
- Assist the Project Manager with the drafting of quarterly and final reports, complying with the reporting requirements of the project
- Provide inputs and assist the consultant experts in the development of training tools and curriculum on cultural competency cultural mediation and GBV/TiP.
- Assist the Project Manager to coordinate with the Resource Management Unit on all procurement duties required for the implementation of project activities.
- Assist Project Manager and the consultant experts in contextualising the training tools and IOM curriculum to ensure relevance and utility for the Irish context.
- Assist in the delivery of capacity building and train-the-trainer trainings to first responders, specialised and general service providers at various locations around Ireland.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Political or Social Sciences, Communications, Media Studies and/or International Relations or similar with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- High School Degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Expertise on migration issues in Europe and Ireland is required
- Prior experience in GBV and/ or TiP prevention and response, including direct assistance and counselling, and/or migration related issues is required
- Experience facilitating high-level stakeholder meetings is required
- Experience with project implementation and/or development is desirable.
- Experience developing and delivering capacity building trainings is required
- Experience working within an international, multi-cultural work environment is an advantage.
- Fluency in English is required. Any other IOM official language is an advantage such as French and Spanish
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Link to IOM competency Framework:
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (CV and motivational letter) to email@example.com quoting Vacancy Number VN IE 2020-11
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.