International Organization for Migration (IOM): Outreach Assistant
Special Vacancy Notice IE2020-04
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Outreach Assistant
Duty Station : Dublin, Ireland
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade
Type of Appointment : Special Short Term, 6 months, with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 06. April 2020
II. Organizational Context and Scope
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and nongovernmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM opened an office in Ireland in 2001. Ireland became a full member government of IOM in 2002. IOM Ireland provides Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration Programmes (AVRR) that are open to migrants (asylum seekers and irregular migrants) from non-EEA countries, who wish to return home voluntarily but do not have the means, including the necessary documentation, to do so. Programme activities additionally include the following areas of migration management: Resettlement, Family Reunification and Counter-Trafficking.
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Information Outreach Coordinator, in close coordination with the Senior Programme Assistant focussing on Protection, the Outreach and Protection Assistant will provide information on IOM’s services to potential migrant beneficiaries and stakeholders. The Assistant’s work will be protection-focused, providing support particularly to potential vulnerable beneficiaries. Based on fieldwork with migrants and other stakeholders, the Assistant will support the Senior Programme Assistant’s development of programmes relating to protection, integration with a specific focus on vulnerable migrants.
III. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Provide support with the design, implementation and monitoring of the IOM Ireland Communications, Media and Outreach Strategic Plan 2020-2022;
- Organize and facilitate regular outreach visits and information sessions, including delivering informal and formal presentations to a variety of audiences, focusing namely on vulnerable migrants; such activity includes the distribution of information materials to potential beneficiaries, other service providers and other programme partners;
- Organize counselling sessions with migrants in agreed relevant locations to advise on IOM services including AVR;
- Identify migrants’ cases with protection needs that may require further assistance and work closely with the Senior Programme Assistant to find suitable solutions for them when possible;
- Network and maintain good relationships with Irish-based organizations in fields relevant to the AVRR/Integration/Protection programmes of IOM Ireland
- Contribute to monthly Outreach reports on planned and implemented outreach and information-sharing activities;
- Assist with the monitoring of the PROTECT project, namely the work on gender-based violence and migration and any relevant projects pertaining to the protection of vulnerable migrants;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned
IV. Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Political or Social Sciences, Development, Law and/or International Relations or similar with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- High School Degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in the fields of social sciences, human rights or provision of assistance to vulnerable groups.
- Experience of working with, and providing assistance to, migrant populations would be considered an advantage.
- Strong work ethic, ability to follow procedures clearly and to work well with colleagues within a team in a multi-cultural environment. Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Good knowledge of MS Office Applications (and in particular Excel and Power Point).
- Fluency in English is required
- Any non-EU language such as Chinese, Georgian, Urdu, Hindi, Arabic etc. is advantage
- Any other IOM official language is an advantage
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
Managing and sharing knowledge:
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
A prerequisite of taking up position is right of residence and right to work in the country of the duty station at the time of application.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (CV and motivation letter) to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting about Vacancy Number
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.