Solas Project: Youth Worker in The Yard (Part -Time)
This item has expired, and will soon be unavailable for viewing
Role Specification for Youth Worker in The Yard (Part -Time)
The Youth Worker will work within the spirit of Solas Project, the vision of which is an Ireland where all children and young people truly know their self-worth and can take full advantage of their potential. We are achieving this through providing a range of innovative interventions that equip and empower young people to reach their full potential, live life to the full and participate fully in society. Through programmes of learning, mentoring, personal and social development we support young people to create a brighter future for themselves and their communities.
We invite appropriately qualified individuals to apply who are committed to the healthy development of young people, have a creative approach to working with our target group, and are enthusiastic about leading within a demanding youth work environment.
Background of the Yard
The Yard, our woodturning social enterprise is a safe, encouraging environment for young people to grow and develop their skills whilst also creating a vision for the future. The Yard caters for young people who have left the education system early and are not in education or employment. Other issues facing our target group may include involvement in the criminal justice system and substance misuse. Young people develop the practical skills of woodturning alongside the soft skills needed to find and sustain employment.
Job Title: Youth Worker in the Yard
Duration: 12 months
Hours of Work: 21 hours a week (with possibility for extension of hours)
Salary: Scale ranging from €30,000 - €39,000 (pro rata) dependant on qualifications and experience of candidate
Reports to: Justice Team Leader
- A recognised qualification in one of the following: Youth Work, Education, Social Work/Care or related discipline.
- Minimum of one years’ experience of working with young people in a youth work context.
- Passionate about the work of Solas Project and committed to its vision and values.
- Understanding and experience of supporting young people impacted by social disadvantage.
- Innovative approach with the ability to identify and develop new and fresh ways to support young people that will further the organisation’s mission.
- Woodwork skills and/or experience of social enterprise would be an advantage but not essential.
- Excellent organisational and IT skills.
- Self-starter with a good team ethos and have ability to work on own.
- Experience of collaboration and building relationships with key stakeholders
Required Attributes and Skills:
Compassion, Patience, Organisational Astuteness, High Emotional Intelligence, Resilience, Process Improvement, Reporting Skills, Change Management, Coaching, Supports Innovation, Developing Standards, Administrative Writing Skills and People Skills.
The role is divided into 2 broad areas, namely youth work and Social Enterprise. The Youth Worker will be responsible for the following:
Programme Delivery and Development
- Delivery of desired outcomes for The Yard Crew in line with that programme’s objectives.
- Develop and implement meaningful activities that will engage and attract participants of The Crew.
- Work as part of a team, including working alongside a qualified woodwork instructor.
- Day to day management of Yard trainees, including managing their timekeeping, behaviour and records of working hours.
- Initiate, manage and develop tailored development plans with participants of The Crew.
- Support and communicate with volunteers and students through face to face meetings, phone calls and emails and all the necessary means to ensure that the volunteers are valued and recognised for their efforts.
- With the Volunteer Co-ordinator, advertise, recruit and process new volunteers for the programme to include interviews, application and Garda Vetting process and checking up references.
- Prepare volunteer rotas for the programme to ensure adequate cover for all activities.
- Be responsible for caretaking of the Yard workshop and containers. Including storage of materials and equipment, waste disposal and ensuring health and safety measures are in place.
- With support from the participants of The Crew and other 3rd party organisations develop and run the Yard as a social enterprise.
- Ensuring that the social enterprise is successful in line with the outputs and revenue goals including liaising with customers and arranging markets as required.
- As required assist with the running of any of the other project’s programmes or activities.
- Be familiar with and abide by the project’s policies and procedures, including child protection and health and safety guidelines for workers and volunteers.
- Review the programme’s existing policies and update and/or amending same where necessary.
- Contribute, as requested, to Solas Project’s communications including regular updates from The Yard.
- Work with and respond to queries from any 3rd parties requesting information on the programme.
- Contribute to the wider strategic development of the project by playing an active role.
- Ensure that the values and ethos of the project are reflected in a consistent manner in all activities.
To apply please send a CV and cover letter to:
Ashling Golden, Solas Project, Unit 1 Liberty View, Longs Place, Dublin 8 or email@example.com by Thursday 14th October at 5pm.