Sophia Housing Association: Childcare Worker (Part-Time, Fixed Term)
JOB DESCRIPTION AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
Job Title: Part Time Childcare Worker (Fixed Term)
Location: Sophia, Donabate Project, Co Dublin
Sophia is a national organisation that has been supporting people as they emerge from homelessness since 1997. Responding to an ever-growing need in Ireland, Sophia supported 1,034 people in 2019 which is an increase of 100% in the number of people supported since 2016.
Sophia is a niche service provider for two reasons; Firstly, it sees the provision of home of one’s own as the primary response to homelessness and the intervention that Sophia is exclusively focused on. Secondly as an Approved Housing Body, its core mission is to provide homes for individuals, couples and families who not only need a home but also present with other support needs.
Sophia recognises that homelessness can have a traumatic impact on people and that services need to be designed and delivered in a trauma informed way.
We aim to provide safe and innovative projects for vulnerable families and individuals which will enable them to make a positive difference in their lives.
Reporting to: Childcare and Nurturing Centre Manager
Contract: Part Time Fixed Term (1 year)
Salary: €19,856.79 per annum
Hours: 24 Hrs per week
Job Purpose: To assist the Childcare and Nurturing Centre Manager in the day to day running of Sophia Childcare Service and to work with the children and families in a holistic way.
Areas of duties and responsibilities: Services, Human Resources, Finance, Health and Safety Development.
Key Responsibilities Services
- To commit to the objectives and ethos of Sophia
- To ensure best practice in the delivery of Children’s Services.
- To work in accordance with Government legislation and policy.
- To work in accordance with Sophia and Policies and Procedures.
- To work as part of the team under the guidance and supervision of the Childcare Manager.
- To work in a holistic way with children and families individually and in groups.
- To work with the Childcare and Support team to develop a plan for child development and play activities for the varying age groups.
- To develop individual Care Plans for the children he/she key works.
- To ensure that all children, parents and visitors are welcomed into the service.
- To involve the children in decision making as appropriate to their age and understanding.
- To share information with Childcare and Nurturing Centre Manager & Team including the development and follow up of Care Plans for the children.
- To monitor and maintain appropriate written records of work with the child.
- To be vigilant and monitor for signs of NAI, sexual abuse, neglect and report any concerns to the Childcare and Nurturing Centre Manager or in her absence Childcare Worker, Childcare Resource Coordinator, Project Manager or Head of Services.
- To record concerns promptly and accurately. To consult with the Designated Person and take appropriate action in accordance with Sophia Child Protection policy
- To choose, organise, present and care for materials/equipment.
- To lead and work with the team to develop an appropriate Curriculum and ensure that it is informed by Aistear the National Early Childhood Curriculum Framework and Síolta the National Quality Framework for Early Childhood Education
- To assist in the management of indoor/outdoor play facilities and ensure they are maintained to a high standard and adhere to health and safety policies.
- To assist in the planning and supervision of children in relation to offsite activities and outings.
- To work in accordance with agreed shift hours.
- To assist in the induction and on-going training, support and direction of employees, Volunteers, Students and trainees of Sophia
- To supervise C.E. staff under guidance of the Childcare and Nurturing Centre Manager.
- Where CE staff are on placement to provide induction training and supervision and progress reports to the CE Supervisor.
- Maintain appropriate staffing ratios within the group.
- Promote positive working relationships within the team
- Providing support to team members in their work.
- Develop good teamwork between the staff and families and children to ensure that a high quality service is maintained.
- Maintain staff relationships and morale among the staff reporting to him/her.
- Delegate appropriate responsibility and authority to the level of staff under their direction consistent with effective decision making while retaining overall responsibility and accountability for results.
- To be aware of the approved budget based on the information provided by the Finance Department, Childcare and Nurturing Centre Manager and Project Managers
- Ensure that the service operates within the approved budget.
- Attendance reports to the Childcare and Nurturing Centre Manager and reports for other Government agencies as required.
- Receive and record all Childcare Fees.
Health and Safety
- To ensure that necessary fire, health and safety policies and procedures are in place and adhered to.
- To ensure high standards of hygiene and cleanliness are maintained at all times.
- To ensure appropriate procedures are in place for responding to emergencies within the Project.
- To attend other agency meetings as appropriate and to work effectively with relevant personnel within Sophia.
- To contribute to policy development and review within the agency.
- To attend training courses and relevant evening meetings relating to the provision of Childcare Services in order to ensure that a high quality service is maintained and for professional development.
- To meet monthly with the Childcare and Nurturing Centre Manager and report on updates such as finances, progression of Childcare Service, staffing issues, building/maintenance issues and other issues as and when required.
- To monitor and review service provision to ensure high standards of childcare, education and welfare are in place.
- Implement Policies and Procedures to ensure they are up to date and reflect best practice.
- Undertake regular service evaluation in consultation with service users and staff.
- To promote networking with appropriate voluntary and statutory agencies.
- The development of appropriate programs and activities that take into account the individual needs of children and families.
- To participate in regular support and supervision.
- To undertake other work that may be assigned from time to time.
B.A. in Early Childhood Care and Education or a recognised third level qualification (minimum Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications (QQI 7) in relation to Early Childhood Care and Education.
- 2-3 years experience of working with vulnerable children and their families
- Experience of working in partnership with families and carers
- Experience of planning, implementing and reviewing programmes with children and/or families
- Experience of engagement with Aistear the National Early Childhood Curriculum Framework and Síolta the National Quality Framework for Early Childhood Education
- Experience of evidence informed practices relating to children and families
- Good working knowledge of Child Protection Legislation and Guidelines
- Experience of and an ability to manage cases and maintain files
- Experience of working with families that have experienced multi-generational disadvantage
- Flexibility, creativity, enthusiasm and adaptability
- Commitment to the delivery of quality services to children, young people, families and carers
- A team player, highly motivated and well organised
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to use initiative, self-motivate, with an ability to motivate others
- Ability to engage in reflective practice
Appointment is subject to satisfactory references and Garda Vetting. Applicants who have worked/lived in a state or country outside of Ireland for more than 6 consecutive months must obtain and present police clearance from that country.
Please forward a Cover Letter and CV to Recruitment@sophia.ie
Closing date is Friday, December 4th 2020