Athlone / Ballinasloe School Completion Programme: Project Worker (Maternity Cover)
Athlone / Ballinasloe School Completion Programme
Title of Position: Project Worker
Place of work: Athlone / Ballinasloe SCP Cluster Schools
Employment Type: Fixed term specific purpose contract from 18th January 2021 until 11th June 2021
Salary: Point 1 CDYSB Youth Worker’s scale €28479
Position: Project Worker (Maternity Cover) Athlone Ballinasloe SCP
Reports to: SCP Co-ordinator
Employer: BOM Coláiste Chiaráin
Role: The role of the project worker, under the direction of the SCP Co-ordinator, will be to work with a selected group of young people being supported to remain in school. This service is a school-based programme that operates at both primary and post primary levels. The focus of this service is to support and work closely with students who would, for a number of factors, be at risk of early school leaving. The core principles of School Completion Programme are to improve Attendance, Participation and Retention. As part of the SCP team s/he will offer support in-school, after-school, out-of-school and holiday provision.
Specifically, the project worker will:
Work with Children & Young People
- Work on a one to one or small group basis with pupils who have been identified as being at risk of leaving school early.
- Co-ordinate a structured caring approach within the school whilst complementing existing structures.
- Provide support for both the young person and the teaching staff.
- Develop personalised programmes for targeted young people who are experiencing ongoing difficulties in school and are at risk of/on suspension.
- Foster links between students, parents and school in partnership with the Home School Liaison Service
- Access appropriate resources/agencies.
Plan & Report
- To assist in the implementation of the Athlone Ballinasloe SCP as outlined in the 2020-2021 Retention Plan submitted to the Tusla, Child and Family Agency.
- To further the aims of the Athlone / Ballinasloe SCP by participating in the development/delivery of child centred educational and personal development programmes which stimulate the interest and participation of young people between the ages of 4 and 18 years with a view to tackling early school leaving.
- To undertake whatever training and attend whatever meetings which might be considered appropriate by the Project Co-ordinator.
- To furnish whatever reports/accounts required.
- Ensure records are kept and maintained in an effective and professional manner adhering to guidelines and legislation.
- Be involved in planning, implementing and evaluating activities during holiday times.
Networking & Communication
- Be requested to attend various meetings from time to time.
- Provide the SCP Coordinator with regular progress reports which will then be reported to the Local Management Committee.
- Report on a daily basis to the project Coordinator.
- Work as a team member while also have the ability to work on his/her own initiative.
- Ensure communication and integration with relevant agencies to ensure the development of strong working links.
- Attend and work the days and hours at the schools or centres as the Local Management Committee direct which may include evening work and may include weekend work from time to time and which will be subject to review. A degree of flexibility is required.
- Perform such other duties appropriate to the post as may be assigned to him/her by the SCP Coordinator in conjunction with the Local Management Committee.
- Positively promote the work of Athlone / Ballinasloe SCP.
This job description will be regarded as a guide to the general duties and responsibilities attached to the post of Project Worker. Therefore, it is neither definitive nor restrictive and will be subject to periodic review and revision at the discretion of the Local Management Committee.
Knowledge, experience and qualifications
- A recognised third level qualification in any of the following:
Youth/Community/Education/Social Sciences/Education Disadvantage or related discipline
- A minimum of one year’s paid or four year’s voluntary experience of working with children & young people-at risk in a supportive environment
- Proficient at planning, implementing and evaluating programmes
- Experience in delivering evidence based and evidence informed programmes
- Experience of working collaboratively with agencies
- Proficient IT skills, report writing, data collection
- A strong understanding of the principles of community development
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately to children across the target group age range.
- Communication and facilitation skills/group work
- The ability to plan and deliver educational/developmental/recreational programmes to individuals and groups.
- A full, clean driving license and use of car.
- Two year’s paid relevant work experience
- Skills and talents which potentially can be brought to the role which will enhance the work e.g. Art, Music, Sports, IT
- Experience of working within a multi-disciplinary team
- Knowledge of the education system and the factors associated with early school leaving and disengagement
- Qualification in teaching in Primary or Post Primary level
- Possess excellent time-management and organisational skills.
- Have excellent integrity and demonstrate good moral, character and initiative.
- Commit to the delivery of quality services to children and young people.
- Have a good problem solving ability.
- Ability to work under pressure, make decisions in consultation with line manager and team when appropriate.
- Ability to critically reflect and understand the importance of critical reflection.
- Capacity/ability to work on their own initiative.
- Ability to support young people’s positive engagement in education.
- Strong ability to produce reports in accordance with Tusla Guidelines.
- Ability to support the ongoing positive development of young people presenting with social, emotional and behavioural issues.
Candidates will be e-vetted in accordance with The National Vetting Bureau (Children and Vulnerable Persons) Acts 2012 to 2016. E-vetting will be a requirement for the successful candidate.
Location: Based in the Athlone and Ballinasloe areas.
The work outlined will be carried out at the various schools and venues within the Athlone / Ballinasloe School Completion Programme catchment area.
Hours: 35 hours per week.
Type of Contract: Fixed Term Specific Purpose Maternity Cover contract.
Salary: Point 1 CDYSB Youth Work Scale €28,479
In accordance with The National Vetting Bureau (Children and Vulnerable Persons) Acts 2012 to 2016, Garda vetting will be a requirement for the successful candidate.
Application by CV and cover letter with references to email@example.com. Late applications will NOT be accepted. Shortlisting will apply.
It is the policy of Athlone / Ballinasloe SCP to check all references.
Closing date for application is 02.12.2020