Barnardos: Project Worker (Part-Time) - Post Adoption Service (Co Galway)
Ireland’s leading children’s charity is recruiting:
Project Worker, Post Adoption Service, Claregalway, Co. Galway
“The Sanctuary”, 27 Chois Chlair, Claregalway, Co. Galway
Part Time contract (26 hours per week) & Fixed Term Contract to 24th December 2022.
Working hours to be discussed with Project Leader
Very occasional evening/Saturday required.
€21,688 - €33,522 DOE (this is the pro rata salary for 26 hrs)
Name of the Service: Barnardos Post Adoption Service:
- Dublin: 23/24 Buckingham Street Lower, Dublin 1.
- Cork: Blackmore House, Meade Street, Cork.
- Galway: “The Sanctuary” 27 Chois Chlair, Claregalway
The Post Adoption Service has a national remit and the new Project Worker will join a therapeutic team of 16 professionals based across the three locations.
What does the Post Adoption Service do?
The service offers a therapeutic post adoption service to children and teenagers who have been adopted both domestically and from abroad and to their families. The service is funded by Tusla the Child and Family agency. The service works with children and teenagers whose emotions and behaviours may have been affected by early trauma and loss. Some can also struggle to integrate their birth histories and ethnicity. Staff assist with supporting parents in understanding behaviours and developing strategies to assist their children/teenagers.
The service is sensitive to the changing nature of adoption services and adapts as new needs emerge.
Barnardos has been providing a support and advice service for adopted people, birth parents and adoptive parents since 1977.
The following services are provided:
- A national post adoption helpline and email support service.
- A national post-adoption therapeutic individual service for adopted children and teenagers and counselling and support for adoptive parents.
- Group work with adopted children and teenagers.
- Support and training meetings for adoptive parents on different aspects of raising adopted children.
- Support meetings for birth mothers and adopted adults are run from the Dublin office.
Personal attributes required
- Commitment to the delivery of quality services to children, young people, families and carers.
- Ability to act on own initiative and consult where appropriate.
- Ability to work under pressure, make decisions in consultation with the line manager when appropriate.
- To be committed to adhering to best practice in the work and be innovative and open to change.
- Flexibility and adaptability are essential for this post.
- Ability to form objective relationships with children, young people, families/carers, colleagues and other agencies.
- A minimum of two years post qualification experience in working with children and families.
- Experience in adoption and attachment issues.
- Experience in working with children affected by early loss/trauma.
- Experience in group work with children and adults.
- Experience of planning, implementing and reviewing programmes with children and families.
- A recognised third level practice qualification (Minimum Level 7 on the QQI) in one of the following:
- Social work.
- Psychology with applied practice.
- Social care
- Counselling or psychotherapy (accredited and registered) or related discipline eg Art therapy, Drama therapy, Play therapy.
- Additional training in trauma and attachment based approaches to working with families -especially Theraplay or DDP (Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy) - is highly desirable.
- Full driving licence and access to the use of a suitably insured vehicle essential.
- The postholder is initially assigned to work in the Post Adoption Service in Galway but may be required in the future to work in other locations in Galway in line with organisational needs.
For full job description and to apply check out www.barnardos.ie/jobs
Closing date: 12 noon, Tuesday 27th October 2020
Interview Dates: Tuesday 3rd November in Claregalway
Shortlisting will apply (please note, cv’s are not accepted on their own, candidates must complete and submit our application form through our website).
Cv’s are accepted only in addition to submission of a fully completed application form.