St John Bosco Youth Centre: Drugs Education Worker
Dublin 12 Drugs Education Worker Position
Purpose of the role:
The purpose of the role is to link with the youth services, schools and any other identified group in the Dublin 12 area to provide education and training in relation to Drugs and Alcohol.
This position is funded by the Dublin 12 Local Drugs and Alcohol Task Force channelled through CDYSB and is managed and located in St John Bosco Youth Centre, Davitt Road, Drimnagh, Dublin 12.
- To provide quality drugs and alcohol education programme.
- To provide drugs and alcohol education to groups of parents in Dublin 12.
- Facilitate on Dublin 12 Strengthening Families Programme.
- Identify drugs and alcohol training needs and meet them where possible.
- Promote a community wide approach to drugs and alcohol education programmes.
- Work with youth groups and youth services in the sourcing, researching and developing and delivery of programmes and materials for drug and alcohol programmes.
- Develop relationships with organisations in the area.
- Provide advice and support in the development of substance use policies to relevant organisations.
- Support the work of the Dublin 12 Local Drugs and Alcohol Task Force through promotion and networking.
- Provide a monthly report to the D12LDATF - You will report directly to the Centre Manager and will also be supported by the Dublin 12 Drugs Task Force Coordinator.
- Where possible, undertake research on agreed areas of drug and alcohol use and drug education.
- Contribute to the work of the D12LDATF team to achieve the goals of the local D12LDATF Strategy and the National Drugs Strategy.
- Develop and evaluate awareness campaigns in collaboration with schools and youth services.
- Participate in the Drugs and Alcohol Education Worker Forum (DAEWF) for support and knowledge.
- Other relevant duties as may be required.
Eligibility Qualifications and/or experience:
- Hold a minimum of a QQI Level 7 qualification in a health science, social care, youth work, addiction or related subject.
- Experience in community development, youth work, teaching or other relevant area.
- Demonstrable knowledge and skills in planning, delivering and evaluating presentations and training.
- Have knowledge and experience of drug and alcohol related work within a community setting along with education and preventions strategies.
- Have a high level of communication, relationship building and interpersonal skills.
- Have a clear understanding of education and prevention issues in relation to drugs and alcohol in the community.
- Access to transport for the purpose of the position.
- Working knowledge of relevant policy and strategy documents.
- Train the trainer qualifications.
- Experience in delivering presentations to large groups.
- Facilitation skills in the delivery of quality training related to drugs/alcohol and allied issues such as mental health.
- Experience in developing and evaluating awareness campaigns.
- Competency in IT and social media.
- This position is funded through the D12 Local Drugs and Alcohol Task Force channelled through CDYSB.
- This post is subject to continued funding.
- This position is a 3-year fixed contract subject to a nine-month probation period.
- This position is subject to Garda vetting.
- CDYSB Youth Worker Salary Scale (pro rata as the position is a 30 hr per week contract)
- Willing to work outside of office hours from time to time.
- Be willing and able to work from home in line with Covid-19 restrictions and be flexible and creative in the approach to the achievement of objectives.
- The location of this post is St John Bosco Youth Service, Davitt Road Dublin 12. However, the person will be expected to spend time visiting schools, organisations and attending meetings in the Dublin 12 area (dependent on Covid19 restrictions).
Applications will be accepted by email only to firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date is 5pm Friday 2 October.