Sligo School Completion Programme: Project Worker
This item has expired, and will soon be unavailable for viewing
The School Completion Programme (SCP) aims to increase the numbers of young people staying in primary and second level school and in doing so improve the numbers of pupils who successfully complete the Senior Cycle, or the equivalent
The work of SCP Project focuses on targeting and providing supports to young people identified to be most at risk of early school leaving and includes;
- Identifying and supporting children and young people at risk of not reaching their potential in the educational system because of poor attendance, participation and retention.
- Supporting schools to monitor, identify and respond to attendance, participation and retention
- Implement transfer programmes to support young people transitioning from primary to post primary school
The position of Project worker is one that necessities the development of programmes and provision of support for children and young people who are at risk of early school leaving and involves the following;
- Building and developing effective relationships with children and young people in the target group while providing assistance with In-school, After school and Out of School Activities
- Designing and facilitating bespoke and evidence based programmes and interventions
- Providing support to children/young people who are currently not engaging in school
- Providing ongoing direct support to principals and link teachers
- Opportunities to liaise with parents/ guardians and appropriate statutory and community services as necessary
- Producing up to date reports on project activity
- Attending Team Meetings and monthly one-to-one supervision sessions
- Providing a support role to project evaluators
- A need to keep up to date with new developments
- Organisation of Holiday time supports, Transfer Programmes, Homework, and activity clubs as assigned by the co-ordinator
- Assisting with the overall development and planning of the programme
This Job Description is a guide to the general range of duties. It is not intended to be either definitive or restrictive and will be subjective to periodic review.
Applicants should possess
- A recognised third level qualification in education, youth work or related fields.
- An understanding of the School Completion Programme and its education partners in TESS
- A working knowledge of computers
- Some experience in community development and / or facilitation is desirable.
- A thorough knowledge of the education system is essential with some knowledge of educational programmes e.g. LCA, LCVP, JCSP etc.
- A minimum of 3 years’ relevant experience of working with young people
- Previous experience of working as part of a team
- Good communications and interpersonal skills.
Terms and Conditions
- Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications and will be on a Project Worker Scale as directed by the CDYSB
- The current positions will be offered on an initial contract of employment starting in September 2020 and continuing until June 2021. Project workers are required to work for a period of 26 hours per week- excluding meal times.
- The intensity of the project activity mirrors the school year; therefore, the successful candidate will need to be somewhat flexible to meet those demands.
- The project workers base will be in the School Completion Programme Office, Mercy College, Convent Hill, Sligo.
Please forward completed application forms to firstname.lastname@example.org or the Sligo School Completion Programme Office c/o Mercy College, Convent Hill, Sligo no later than Wednesday the 8th July 2020 at 12noon.