The DIT Programme for Students Learning With Communities supports staff and students engaging in community-based learning and research (also known as service-learning), and builds links with communities.
Do you have strengths you would like to build on, or needs you would like to see addressed in your community? Can you see an opportunity to work with DIT students on a project to benefit them and your community? If so, Students Learning With Communities might be the programme for you.
Students Learning With Communities involves DIT staff and/or students working with community partners (local groups, not-for-profit organisations, civil society organisations) to develop real-life projects. Learning comes alive for the students as they work on these projects with real clients, applying their specialist subject skills, and receiving course credits for their work. The community becomes part of the teaching process and benefits from the students’ work. These projects give all participants the opportunity to engage in critical thinking and to develop their social awareness. The Programme for Students Learning With Communities ultimately aims to energise participants to work for social change.
What we can do for you:
- We can meet you to discuss your project idea, and to discuss your strengths and needs
- We can help you clarify questions that you might like our students to address (undergraduate and postgraduate) and advertise your ideas/topics on our Community Research Topics page.
- We will do our best to make links for you with an appropriate DIT lecturer working in your area of interest to partner with you on the project
- We will also circulate to you (via email) projects that lecturers have suggested that may be of interest to you
- We will promote your DIT collaborative project on our website and promote your involvement by providing a link to your organisation on our web-pages
- We will add you to our mailing list for appropriate funding and conference opportunities and we will send you our bi-annual newsletter with updates on our work
- We will celebrate your work and the work of the students on Students Learning With Communities projects through our annual awards ceremony
So contact us! Provided we find a suitable partner for you in DIT, the next step would be for you to collaborate with the lecturer to develop your idea into a specific project which meets the students’ learning needs, and the needs of your community.