Macra na Feirme
Job Title: Training & Development Officer West / Mid-West
Locations: Within Galway, Limerick or Clare area
Contract Type: One year; Fixed Term Contract
Reporting To: Chief Executive
Hours: 35 Hours per week, including evening and weekend hours
About Macra na Feirme
Macra na Feirme is a vibrant, independent, non-profit, national voluntary organisation for rural young people and young farmers between the ages of 17 and 35 engaged in youth development and training. The organisation consists of a nationwide network of clubs which support a range of activities in agriculture, sport, travel, public speaking and performing arts.
Macra na Feirme is committed to the personal development of members and puts emphasis on social interaction and participation.
Macra na Feirme employs almost 20 staff and involves hundreds of volunteers on a weekly and monthly basis in the delivery of services to members through almost 200 clubs across the country. Our clubs and volunteers are active members of their own rural and local communities, often involved in other community activities such as fundraising for local causes.
Macra na Feirme is a registered charity and is supported by a combination of statutory, agricultural industry and corporate funding. Macra na Feirme is an equal opportunity employer.
The aim of the Training & Development Officer is to develop volunteer led Macra na Feirme Clubs and Counties for young people in the West / Mid-West region, incorporating counties Galway, Roscommon, Clare & Limerick. This role is part of the Macra na Feirme Training & Development Team reporting to the Chief Executive. The successful Training & Development Officer will be employed by Macra na Feirme and will be given an initial fixed term contract of employment of one year’s duration. It must be understood however, that if these positions becomes redundant at any time during the period of the contract or if the funding for the post are discontinued or post holder fail to perform satisfactorily, employment may be terminated. As the majority of Macra na Feirme activities take place at evening time and at weekends, a significant proportion of the successful candidate’s working time will be during these periods. Macra na Feirme operate a time off in lieu system.
The duties of the Training & Development Officer in carrying out any functions, which may be involved in or arise out of the appointment, shall be as notified by the Chief Executive and/or the nominee of the Chief Executive from time to time. These duties will include but are not limited to:
- Developing – Establishing volunteer led Macra na Feirme clubs in partnership with local communities through the recruitment of volunteer leaders and members.
- Organisation – Assisting volunteers, to organise themselves effectively and efficiently to engage in youth development activities including establishing new Macra na Feirme clubs and recruiting adult mentors, coaches and judges for club competition and activities. To provide guidance & support to Club and County Officers to ensure they have balanced well planned programmes.
- Training – Training of young people to enable them to perform their tasks more effectively and to support the career development of rural youth and young farmers through provision of appropriate training and development opportunities.
- Programme Development - Developing education programmes to support the youth development and empowerment of volunteers to become leaders within their own communities and beyond.
- Engagement – Engaging with volunteers in relation to problem solving and other areas of concern and interest to them in youth development.
- Implementing - Best practice policies and procedures in relation to member training, recruitment, retention and development.
- Interacting – encouraging clubs to engage, interact and participate in competitions, training and events with other Macra na Feirme clubs in the area.
- Any such other relevant duties as the Chief Executive Officer or the nominee of the Chief Executive shall deem necessary for the effective implementation and the policy and programmes of Macra na Feirme.
Key Performance Indicators
- Maintain existing number of clubs and groups and
- Establish new Clubs in West/Mid-West region in a planned and strategic fashion
- Improve retention rates for members in the region
- Increase numbers of young people engaged in Macra na Feirme clubs options
Professional Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will have the following essential qualifications or experience:
- Education to National Diploma or Degree standard preferably in Youth / Community Work (note: candidates with exceptional, relevant work experience may also be considered in lieu of degree qualifications)
- An understanding of Youth Work and Community Work methodologies
- Access to car and full driving licence
- Ability to engage target group
It is desirable that the ideal candidate will have the following:
- Paid or voluntary, experience working with young people
- Experience in coaching, mentoring or training provision to young people
- Understanding of Irish Agriculture
Person Specification (all Essential requirements)
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with young people
- Good interpersonal skills, including ability to liaise with a wide range of contacts and build and maintain effective working relationships
- Excellent standards of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to be proactive, use own initiative and work effectively within a pressurised environment
- Positive and flexible approach to working as part of a team
- Good written communications skills, including ability to draft summary information and correspondence, good report writing skills.
- Ability to follow organisational guidelines and processes.
- Good computer skills, including Word, Excel, Internet, PowerPoint and Social Media
- Commitment to the purpose of Macra na Feirme and to work within the values, policies and procedures of the organisation
- To act consistently in a professional manner at all times
- To participate in regular supervision with your line manager
- Flexibility in relation to hours of work to meet the needs of the work. Work during unsocial hours will be required.
- Identify training needs with your line manager and participate in training opportunities appropriate to the role
- To undertake other duties as may be requested by the Chief Executive of Macra na Feirme or their nominee from time to time
Additional Considerations for the Role
Medical: The successful candidate will be required to complete a medical questionnaire /undergo a pre-employment medical.
Garda vetting: As our work involves contact with young people, candidates under consideration for employment in Macra na Feirme will be subject to Garda vetting.
References: The successful candidate will undergo 2 reference checks before commencing employment with Macra na Feirme.
Annual Leave: The Training and Development Officer will be entitled to 25 days annual leave plus public holidays. The needs of the job must be considered when applying to take this leave.
Hours of work: The Training and Development Officer will be expected to work a minimum of 35 hours per week. Please note these positions will require flexibility in relation to working hours. It is expected that the Training and Development Officer(s) will work some late evenings (up to 11pm) and some weekend work.
Salary: The salary for this position will be discussed with the successful candidate upon appointment.
Travel: This post will involve domestic travel within Ireland and occasional meetings. Travel and expenses will be paid in accordance with appropriate Macra na Feirme rates.
Base: The employment base(s) will be in the Galway/Limerick area.
Applications: Applications should be made by way of the Macra na Feirme job application form only. The job application form is available to download from the ‘careers’ section of our website www.macra.ie or upon request by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: The deadline for returning completed application forms is 5.00pm WEDNESDAY 27th JUNE 2018. Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Macra na Feirme is an equal opportunities employer.