NOTE: This item has expired and will soon be unavailable for viewing.
Sexual Health Promotion Officer
Fixed Term Contract
Originally founded in 1987, as Cork AIDS Alliance, to provide support to people living with HIV, the Sexual Health Centre is now a leading organisation supporting and promoting sexual health in Ireland.
The Sexual Health Centre is now seeking an exceptional individual to join our team and provide one-to-one and group support as well as administrative assistance within our service delivery team. We recognise that furnishing people with the skills to effectively respond to sexual health issues is crucial to overall wellbeing. In this role, you will have the opportunity to make a significant contribution to the overall strategy of the Sexual Health Centre.
The Sexual Health Centre has an ambitious programme for a future where sexual health is recognised as an integral part of life, barriers to access sexual health services are removed, social stigma and discrimination are challenged, each individual feels safe to express their sexuality, and people make informed decisions regarding their sexual wellbeing and treat each other’s life choices with the utmost respect. Our services provide free and confidential information, counselling and support to help people make positive, healthy lifestyle choices to improve their wellbeing.
The purpose of this role is to support young people and groups to improve their experience of sexual health, healthy relationships, wellbeing and education. The aim is to develop and deliver the Sexual Health Centre’s Health Promotion Programmes for young people and groups in addition to providing administrative support to the organisation. The role will be responsible for responding to queries and supports for young people, parents and professionals working with these groups.
This is a fixed, short term contract until December 2019 and requires an immediate start, applications will be considered on a full time, part time / job share basis.
Responsibilities of your role will include:
- Create an empowering, non-judgemental, positive and welcoming atmosphere within the Sexual Health Centre, emphasising self-determination and assisting young people to make plans and decisions and to accept responsibility
- Support the delivery of one-to-one support, drop-in services, condom demonstrations and helpline calls
- Assist in the development, delivery and evaluation of training programmes to young people that support people to develop their skills, knowledge and confidence in the area of sexual health
- Deliver tailored educational health promotion programmes in a variety of settings to high-risk groups, universal groups or individuals that will enhance their self-esteem and reduce risk-taking behaviours
- Provide brief intervention / motivational interventions to young people in relation to their sexual health
- Empower and encourage all people to access Sexual Health Centre programmes with particular emphasis on ‘at risk’ groups as defined by the organisation
- Co-ordinate, provide and deliver testing opportunities both in the Sexual Health Centre and in an outreach capacity including but not limited to Rapid HIV testing, Hep C testing and STI testing services
- Provide pregnancy testing in line with the code of ethics of the Crisis Pregnancy Programme
- Provide day-to-day office and administrative duties as required
- Manage and update files in the company filing system
- Complete data collection and collation for a variety of funders and services as required
- Work within the Sexual Health Centre’s internal pathways to refer clients to the appropriate professional team member or external service
- Work within the Policies, Procedures Protocols and Guidelines of the Sexual Health Centre
- Monitor and evaluate work as required, keeping secure written and statistical records of work undertaken and providing reports as required
- Represent the Sexual Health Centre at events, conferences, meetings etc.
- Achieve volume, activity and income targets as agreed with the Centre Manager
- Actively seek new opportunities to promote awareness of the services offered by the Sexual Health Centre particularly amongst vulnerable and disengaged members of society and their professional support workers
- Establish and maintain an excellent rapport with clients to create a respectful and trusting relationship whilst providing ‘persistent and challenging support’
- Ensure a healthy and safe working environment for clients and other staff
- Adhere to the goals and targets of the Strategic Plan for The Sexual Health Centre
- Assist with the provision of health promotion work, including information stands where required
- Participate in the overall administration of the Health Promotion team
- Participate in the telephone Helpline service
- Perform other duties commensurate with the nature of the post. It is important that all members of staff are prepared to take on additional duties or relinquish existing duties in order to maintain efficient running of the organisation. All roles will develop and the Sexual Health Centre may change the role scope in consultation with the post holder
Education / Professional Qualifications:
- A relevant qualification in health promotion, youth work, community development or other relevant area (Level 6 NFQ or higher)
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders and to build strong working relationships is essential
- Group Facilitation skills
- Excellent IT skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Experience in developing and managing training programmes
- High level English language and training skills
- Relevant experience in the area of sexual health
- Group facilitation of young people from diverse backgrounds
- You will also be someone with a flexible working style and the ability to respond effectively to emerging/unexpected needs.
- Innovative thinking and project planning is essential.
- A full clean driving licence is an advantage
Terms and Conditions
Salary: Salary will be commensurate with the experience of the candidate.
Contract: Fixed term contract ending in December 2019.
Hours: Full time contract based on 37.5 hours, 5 days per week but alternative work arrangements will also be considered. Due to the nature of the post, evening or weekend work may sometimes be required.
Holidays: 24 days annual leave (pro rata)
Garda Vetting: please note that any offer of employment will be subject to Garda Vetting.
The Sexual Health Promotion Officer will report to the Centre Manager.
CV and accompanying cover letter can be directed to Catherine Kennedy, Centre Manager: email@example.com. Applications will not be accepted after 1pm Monday, August 19th 2019.
Sexual Health Centre is an equal opportunities employer.