NOTE: This item has expired and will soon be unavailable for viewing.
Muscular Dystrophy Ireland
75 Lucan Road,
Muscular Dystrophy Ireland (MDI) is a voluntary organisation that provides support to people with neuromuscular conditions and their families. MDI seeks to recruit an enthusiastic individual with relevant qualifications and experience for the following position:-
Family Support Worker [Part time]
Mid-Western Health Service Executive Area
The holder of this part time position 20 hours per week provides support to families in the Western Health Service Executive Area, Galway, Mayo, Roscommon and in the Midlands Health Executive Area, Offaly, Westmeath and Longford. Candidates should be excellent communicators with a good understanding of health and social services and the needs of people with disabilities. Experience of advocacy work, providing personal support and a full clean driving licence are essential.
Location: Western Region
Reporting to: National Head of Services
Contract Type Fixed Term One year Contract
Muscular Dystrophy Ireland
Muscular Dystrophy Ireland (MDI) is a member driven voluntary organisation providing support and information to people with neuromuscular conditions and their families. MDI seeks to recruit an enthusiastic individual with relevant qualifications and experience. The ideal candidate will have a good understanding of health and social services and the needs of people living with disabilities. The candidate will have experience of outcome driven advocacy work and experience in the provision of practical support to adults/young people with disabilities and their families. A full driving licence and access to a car are essential to this post
- To provide personal contact and support to persons affected by neuromuscular conditions, their families and carers.
- To network and advocate with the Health Service Executive, Department of Social Protection and all other appropriate statutory and voluntary service providers in liaison with MDI in order to provide adequate service provision for individuals and families.
- To promote the concept of independent living and personal assistance to members and encourage members to participate in opportunities appropriate to their expressed needs.
- To liaise with other organisations and groups to advise on and encourage accessibility for MDI’s members.
- To seek opportunities for the provision of activities in employment, education, recreational and well-being driven initiatives.
- To plan and develop a social support network for members.
- To support members and their families in accessing short term respite care in accordance with the MDI’s Respite Policy.
- To assess the needs of new members and advocate as appropriate.
- To provide information to members and their families on accessing entitlements to financial supports, health care and equipment.
- To co-ordinate and attend annual residential camps.
- To line manage staff at summer camps as and when required.
- To maintain records and expenses for summer camp when required.
- Assist with personal care on residential camps if and when required.
- To drive the MDI mini-bus to the safest standards as set by the organisation.
- To ensure the safety of all passengers and other road users.
- To liaise with the Transport Coordinator to ensure that the mini bus complies with all health and safety regulations.
- To promote the work of MDI with statutory and other service providers through training, networking and raising awareness.
- To liaise and support with the youth services when required in implementing a programme of activities for young members and their siblings.
- To provide relevant monthly reports to the Family Support / Clinic Co-ordinator.
- To attend staff meetings as required.
- To engage in fundraising initiatives and partake in the annual MDI Awareness Campaign.
- Any other duties as may be required by the organisation from time to time.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience of working for people with disabilities and or delivering services to marginalised groups in society.
- Familiarity with the Irish social, educational and medical systems
- Relevant 3rd level qualification
- Experience of report writing
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proven ability to work on own initiative.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent administration and time management skills.
- Computer literate (Microsoft Office Suite).
- This post requires flexibility which includes evening and weekend work.
- Due to the nature of this post a full clean driver’s licence is essential [own car].
- Experience of compiling statistics
- Organised and focussed.
- Determination, flexibility and a sense of humour.
- Commitment to the aims and goals of Muscular Dystrophy Ireland.
Terms and Conditions
- Part Time Position - 20 hours per week
- Probation period 3 months
- Pension scheme available
- 21 days annual leave (pro rata)
- This post is subject to Garda Clearance
- Due to the nature of MDI’s service, flexible working is a key feature of this role, resulting in occasional evening and weekend work.
- Being available to attend a number of week-long camps is a key feature of this role.
- This role will be based in the Mid-Western Area.
- The above position is subject to availability of ongoing funding
Applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date - 15th February 2019
Muscular Dystrophy Ireland is an equal opportunities employer