Léargas is a leading National Agency in Ireland with an extremely strong reputation for managing international and national exchange and collaboration programmes in education, youth and community work, and vocational education and training. These programmes connect people in different communities and countries and bring an international dimension to the work of organisations across Ireland. We are the National Agency for Erasmus+ in Adult Education, School Education, VET and Youth. Léargas is a not-for-profit organisation (CHY 8317), under the auspices of the Department of Education and Skills.
Due to the retirement of our Executive Director we are now seeking to hire his replacement. This is an exciting opportunity for a collaborative leader who will steer Léargas through the next cycle of its development.
Executive Director / Chief Executive Officer
The Executive Director in Léargas is the conduit between the Management team and the Board, guiding the strategic vision and direction of the organisation and reporting to all relevant Government Departments. The Executive Director has responsibility for developing and maintaining the evolving culture of the organisation, which is based on strong reputational values. The Executive Director ensures the good governance of Léargas and works closely with the Head of Finance and the Léargas Board, to manage budgets in compliance with all national and relevant European guidelines and regulations. The Executive Director represents Léargas at relevant European Commission meetings such as the National Agency Directors' Meeting, and at relevant national meetings in the fields of education, training and youth work.
Equivalent to Principal Officer Higher (PPC scale) €93,785 - €115,051
Fixed-term five-year contract. This position may be facilitated by secondment.
5pm on 11 February 2020
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the Management team in the effective delivery of all programmes dedicated to Léargas, such as Erasmus+ and Peace IV.
- Collaborate with the Board to define and articulate the vision, mission, values and goals of Léargas and to develop and implement strategies and plans.
- Lead the Senior Management Team across Léargas ensuring the right people with the right skills are in place to meet the overall goals and objectives of Léargas.
- Provide inspirational leadership to all Léargas staff that enables a learning and performance-oriented culture, where everyone understands their role in achieving the Léargas values.
- Work with the Board to ensure that the strong governance structure is maintained and improved.
- Ensure all Léargas risk management systems and policies are appropriate, current and applied.
- Participate in Board Meetings and meetings of Board committees and provide supports for the Board as required.
- Establish good working relationships with key stakeholders and government departments.
- Oversee the financial dealings of Léargas.
- Act as the public face of Léargas, internally and externally.
Key requirements for the post
- Significant leadership experience in a senior leadership/management role ideally coming from the education/training sector.
- A proven track record of leading and motivating a team, and experience of managing change.
- A strong commitment to people and organisational development and collegiate working.
- A proven ability to build constructive relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders and to work in partnership with other organisations.
- Understanding of how government departments are structured, and experience in negotiating with and between departments.
- Experience of leading, managing or collaborating on research projects.
- A strong understanding of, and appreciation for, components of good governance.
- Experience of working with and engaging with a Board.
- A working knowledge of how Europe interacts with Ireland at an operational and policy level
- Comfort with public speaking, networking, and advocacy.
- Strong organisational and planning skills
- At least a primary degree in a relevant discipline with a Master’s qualification being desirable.
Please send your CV and cover letter—illustrating how your competencies link to the key requirements for the post—to firstname.lastname@example.org at our recruitment partner Ascension Executive Recruitment by 5pm on 11 February 2020