Post: Project Worker with responsibility for Attendance Support
School Completion Programme (SCP)
The School Completion Programme (SCP) is a TUSLA initiative that aims to have a positive impact on levels of pupil retention in primary and second level schools and on the number of pupils who successfully complete the Senior Cycle, or equivalent.
SCP entails targeting individual young people of school-going age, both in and out of school, and arranging supports to address inequalities in education access, participation and outcomes. It is based on the project model with an integrated approach involving primary and post primary schools, parents and relevant statutory, voluntary and community agencies.
Purpose of the Post:
To monitor the attendance of and actively encourage positive attendance of students who are at-risk of being poor attenders in school.
To assist students to settle in by providing appropriate information and ensuring they are offered relevant additional help and support.
Duties as assigned by School Principal to support attendance and target students.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To record statistical information regarding attendance monitoring of target students
- To work within the TUSLA national guidelines for the protection and welfare of Children
- To ensure you observe School Completion and Secondary School policies as communicated to you.
- To recognise your own limitations and work within them, seeking further support and guidance as necessary.
- To establish and maintain regular contact with your targeted students and their parents/carers.
- To identify when a student may be experiencing difficulties and inform school and SCP Coordinator/ Principal/ Home School Teacher as appropriate.
- To take an interest in the targeted students and encourage their inclusion in Lunch Clubs, Homework Clubs, and Breakfast Clubs.
- To supervise Homework Club and give information to SCP Coordinator regarding hours worked and numbers attending etc
- To familiarise yourself with potential further sources of help and refer students on as appropriate.
- To contribute to your immediate team in school, (Care Team Committees) and the wider team, including School and SCP staff, ensuring good communication and co-operation.
- Third Level Qualification in: Education, Youth work, Social Care or related discipline
- Experience and knowledge in the issues of young people in disadvantaged socio-economic areas or/and with behavioural issues/ anti-social behaviour.
Conditions and salary
- Based in St. Vincent’s Secondary School, Glasnevin, Dublin 11
- Full Garda clearance and Child Protection training essential
- The post is for the academic year November 2019- May 2020 inclusive.
- There will be a probation period of 3 months
- Hours of work will be approx 20 hours per week.
- Annual salary is Point 1 of the Youthreach Project workers Salary (Pro-rata)
Please send your Curriculum Vitae and a cover letter outlining your suitability for the post to:
School Completion Coordinator (Finglas C)
St Malachy’s National School
St Helena’s Rd.
For further details or general enquiries call – SCP Coordinator Fionnuala 086 7326629
Closing Date for Applications is Friday15th November 5pm.
Interviews will follow selection process following week.
Due to the large number of expected applications, we cannot respond to unsuccessful candidates but thank you for your time.