Student Life and Residence Assistant
The College of Global Studies
Founded in 1853, Arcadia University is Philadelphia's global university and a pioneer in international education. It is a top-ranked private university offering bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees. In addition to six colleges and schools in the United States, we have 10 centers and offices around the world. Every year, our faculty and staff enrich the lives of our 3,700 current students, 3,000 study abroad participants, and more than 26,000 alumni.
Job Description and Responsibilities
The Student Life and Residence Assistant at Arcadia University’s Dublin Centre supports the housing and living experience of students assigned to a residence operated and managed by Arcadia in Dublin. The RLA will develop a sense of community for students living in the Dublin 6 area of Dublin. The RLA will be available to assist incoming and departing students. In addition, the RLA will also assist with student events and orientations for all other Arcadia University students in Ireland. The RLA reports directly to the Irish Programmes Officer. The RLA assists the staff in providing program services for students and in maintaining the Dublin based housing in which the students reside.
This position requires an average of 10 hours per week for assigned responsibilities, with some of those hours scheduled consistently in the evenings (between 5pm-10pm). At certain times of the year (start of Academic year August and September) as well as beginning of Spring semester (December and January), the time commitment may increase slightly due to student arrivals etc. This position also requires the RLA to be available for student arrivals, orientation, and attendance on occasional co-curricular activities planned by the Dublin Center.
This part-time position is based in Dublin. This position will report to the Irish Programmes Officer at Arcadia University in Ireland. The position will need to become familiar with regulations and procedures of The College of Global Studies at Arcadia University.
Salary: €800 per month.
Hours: This is a part-time position with evening and weekend work frequently required. This position requires a time an average of 10 hours per week for assigned responsibilities, with some of those hours scheduled consistently in the evenings (between 5pm-10pm).
While this position is not office based there is a requirement for the candidate to present in person to our Center for 1-2 hours per week. The purpose of this will be to work with appropriate staff to ensure that all necessary housing matters are in place. This will also provide opportunity for other staff meetings to take place in the presence of the Resident Life Assistant.
This position will be for 1 year. A review will be made following this period.
- Arrange bi-weekly visits (1-2 hour time slot) of Arcadia University Dublin private based student accommodation
- Ensure a building is ready for occupation before student arrival (including maintenance reports, cleaning of property keys preparation)
- As above, during orientation collecting specified housing deposits and inventory forms
- Be available for out of hours student requests (such as lock outs)
- To keep accurate accounts of the collection and return of key deposits.
- To undertake minor maintenance and see that student housing remain clean and orderly during occupation.
- To keep an accurate record of maintenance requests, report any repairs needed, and record the completion of maintenance and repairs, reporting to the office of same.
- Conduct planned inspections to ensure that students occupying our housing are acting responsibly and abiding by their housing contract
- To follow and carry out any instructions from a member of staff pertinent to the RLA Position
Student Life and Programming
- Orientations (Meet and greet new students at the airport)
- Deliver presentations on student housing and other cultural discussions such as cultural integration, Irish University life as well as co-curricular events planned by Arcadia University
- Attend up to 4 co-curricular events (day / weekend and sometimes evening activities) with students (Please note this may change from Semester to Semester)
- Attend farewell events
- Assist with student move ins (including Dublin and outside of Dublin accommodation) at the start of Semester/ Academic year including Summer
- Plan and host Community Engagement activities in the Dublin area
- Plan and host Arcadia Dublin Center student events
- Develop a sense of community for students in Dublin
- Be available to assist incoming and departing students and act as a peer advisor
- Help resolve any conflicts between students and notify supervisor of any conflicts that need to be escalated for resolution
- Liaise with the Student Life Officer to ensure that student residents are made aware of events taking place in the city which might interest them. This could be done through a bulletin board, postings on the Facebook group page or other means as appropriate
- Flexible and reliable
- Experience working with local and international students·
- Willing and able to support student accommodation lockouts (after hours)
- Experience in working with or leading groups of people
- Permission to work in the Republic of Ireland
An understanding of the functioning of certain systems (immersions, heating systems, fuse boxes, etc.)
- Experience with minor home repairs and maintenance
- Post graduate student
- Relevant experience working with American undergraduate students
- Event planning
- Residing in or near Dublin 6
Interviews will be held the week beginning 19 August 2019. Anticipated Start date: 9 September 2019
All applicants please send a cover letter and CV to Thomas Kelley at email@example.com
CV review will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled.