Overview of Portobello Institute
Portobello Institute is committed to providing and developing educational courses to meet the challenges of an increasingly diverse student base and demanding workplace. The purpose of the institute is to make education accessible to students who have an interest in the sectors Portobello Institute offers education in. We believe through the superior support mechanisms we have in place, our students can achieve their personal best, making a dream career or further study opportunity a reality.
We do this by small classes and treating each student as an individual. We employ programme management and delivery teams who believe what we do and will go the extra mile to support a student to achieve their desired goal. We build strong connections with our industry partners and employers and offer students valuable practical insight and work placements in their chosen sectors. We operate with honesty, integrity and transparency with our validating partners to ensure a strong belief in the professionalism and credibility of our academic management.
Portobello Institute’s positioning in the market is a premier position and therefore all communication, touchpoints with current, future and past pupils, engagement with validating bodies, industry connections and associations must reflect this position.
Role of the Front Office Manager
Front Office Manager is responsible for the day to day management and overseeing of the operation of the front office of the college, its associated staff and the general college facilities, its services and external venues. This includes the implementation of the health and safety statement within the college.
Outline of Key Responsibilities:
Manage Reception Services
Oversee smooth operation of reception & ensure office procedures are followed
- Oversee daily tasks of receptionists and report on same
- Ensure that reception services are provided in a timely, professional and efficient manner e.g. telephones, email, photocopying, visitors, post, typing, etc.
- Manage room bookings & requirements
- Ensure reception is maintained and kept tidy
- Ensure guests are signed in and out of guest book
Manage Customer Service
- Ensure all customers are handled efficiently and professionally.
- Ensure all phone calls are answered in a timely manner.
- Ensure that reception staff are aware of all current classes, tutors, schedules & venues.
- Ensure that amendments for student’s database are forwarded to Admissions administrator
- Ensure that reception staff record all negative customer interactions or experiences
Manage Front Office Staff
- Ensure staff are trained in reception duties and ensure staff are familiar with & use college systems, eg web texting, PSIS, email, calendars etc
- Monitor & record staff performance
- Manage staff rotas, ensure holidays are covered etc
- Generate new ideas and ways of working and consistently strive to reach highest standards of performance
- Manage administration requirements of the Institute
- Manage incoming & outgoing post.
- Ensure all incoming and outgoing courier parcels are tracked.
- Plan and manage general administration duties preparation of Learner Induction Packs and quality associated paperwork
- International Student administration (Visa Letters, Attendance Letters etc)
- Ensure that office stock and staff canteen supplies are maintained.
- Walk through the buildings daily & oversee functional requirements of day to day operations of the college
- Conduct on weekly basis repairs audit, cleaning audit, equipment audit
Cleaning & Maintenance
- Monitor & record performance of cleaning & maintenance staff & ensure tasks are carried out to a high standard
- Develop a strategy to ensure staff comply and meet standards required
- Development of a Maintenance Plan. Record all repairs & follow through to completion
- Source & manage vendors’ quotes & contracts, ensure repairs are carried out to required standard & in compliance with H&S requirements
Health & Safety
- Oversee and manage the implementation of the company health and safety policy
- Carry out any duties with due care and attention to personal health and safety and that of colleagues.
- Ensure all staff are familiar with company health & safety policies & procedures
- Maintain Accident Report Book – report all occurrences to management
- Implement fire safety requirements - organising fire drills
- Responsible for Health & Safety induction of new staff
- Report all critical issues to management.
- Attend a weekly meeting and give report on all respective responsibilities.
- Research, advice & take cost savings actions where appropriate
- Responsible for any other task identified as falling reasonably within the scope and range of the position and provide flexible cover and support.
- Take ownership for own continuous personal development, undertaking relevant training as and when appropriate.
The following competencies are considered essential for success performance in the role.
1. Initiative - The ability to act creatively and be forward thinking to anticipate problems and crises
- Anticipate what needs to be done and do it
- Make forward plans and be adaptable to changing circumstances
- Be capable of new thinking and be creative in developing effective solutions
2. Self confidence – The need to show high levels of confidence in ones own ability to complete a task and select effective approaches to solutions
- Work confidently within agreed parameters
- Take and stand by decisions
- Deal confidently with difficult situations and setbacks
- Present oneself with assurance
3. Leadership – The ability to take a role as leader inspiring or guiding a team or group of people
- Manage a group or team of people
- Keep people informed about developments
- Guide the performance of others in the team
4. Customer Service – A desire to help or serve customers, involves focusing one’s efforts on discovering and meeting customer needs
- Be helpful in dealing with customers
- Offer appropriate advice
- Anticipate customer needs and work to meet them
5. Decision Making & judgement – The ability to make informed decisions or judgements about situations or issues where a course of action is required
- Assemble the facts and outline course of action
- Weigh up pros and cons and make recommendations, consult and seek advice when there is no precedent
6. Communication – The ability to communicate with others in a manner that conveys the key message and is appropriate to the audience
- Be able and willing to communicate
- Present factual information effectively, both orally and in written form
- Have good writing skills
- Be effective in oral communication
- Be a persuasive communicator
7. Team working – The ability to work well and cooperate with others, to be part of a team
- Be a good team player, work well with others
- Encourage and support others
- Seek to resolve team tensions
8. Concern for clarity and work quality - Ability to reduce uncertainty by monitoring & checking work or information & insisting on clarity of roles and functions
- Be clear about what is expected and ask for help when unsure
- Set standards for others
- Challenge existing standards
- Check the work of others
- Be accurate and organised
Start Date: As soon as possible
Location; Portobello Institute, 43 Lower Dominick Street Dublin 1
Salary : €27,000 per Annum
Please forward CV to: email@example.com