About Exchange House Ireland
Exchange House Ireland National Travellers Service is the largest front line Traveller specific service in Ireland. We are an organisation of Traveller and non-Traveller people working together to provide services to Traveller families, and Traveller young people and children and Traveller men and women, many of whom are in crisis. We are a multi-disciplinary service provider offering Family Support, Youth Services, Addiction Services, Mental Health Services and Education Services to members of the Traveller community
The focus of your work will be to establish a working relationship with young Travellers and to support them to take an active part in their own community and wider society. You will be expected to deliver youth work programmes to young Travellers between the ages of 10 to 21 on a face-to-face basis. The role reports to the Children and Young Peoples’ Service Manager. You will be part of a team of youth workers. You will be expected to work with both young men and young women.
The role is based at our offices on Great Strand Street, Dublin. You will work at external sites regularly. We work a 37.5-hour week. We conduct evening sessions and 60% of our time is spent working with young people.
- Provide on and off site Youth Services to young Travellers in the greater Dublin area.
- Support young Travellers who are involved with and using other youth facilities within the local area.
- Manage a community youth centre and programme of activities for both sexes in your geographical work area.
- Organise and take part in special activities including youth exchanges, sports days, summer projects, camping trips, foreign trips etc.
- Network with both Traveller projects and non-Traveller projects and liaise with other agencies working with the community in your area.
- Assist in the organisation of personal development programmes for the target group.
- Assist in ensuring Child Protection practices follow the Children First documents.
- Carry out regular reviews and evaluation of the work in conjunction with the other members of staff and the Youth Services Manager.
- Keep accurate records, including financial records.
- Identify potential areas of supplementary funding
- Work with young members of the community who are homeless.
- Carry out any other tasks as required.
- Promote participation on relevant committees and provide support and encouragement to young people.
- Represent Exchange House Ireland on committees and groups.
- Attend Youth Service and Exchange House Ireland staff meetings.
- Liaise and cooperate with other Departments within Exchange House Ireland to ensure effective service delivery to young people.
- Liaise with other relevant groups both locally and nationally and assist Exchange House Ireland to advocate where appropriate on relevant community issues.
- Promote participation in all aspects of Exchange House Ireland; encourage the participation of the community in training, health, community development, arts and cultural initiatives.
- Uphold the ethos of Exchange House Ireland, which operates accordingly to the principles of Community Development.
- Attend relevant external training
- Participate in documented support and supervision sessions with the Youth Services Manager in accordance with Exchange House Ireland policy and guidelines of staff supervision
- Implement Exchange House Ireland Health and Safety procedures
- Provide cover for other members of staff when required
- To take on other tasks and duties that will further develop the aims and objectives of Exchange House Ireland as requested by the Youth Services Manager, CEO and Board of Management Directors
Skills and experience
- A qualification in the area of youth work, community development, social care, or experience working in a community organisation either on a paid or voluntary basis.
- Experience of working with the Traveller community and/or disadvantaged groups would be an advantage.
- A passion and aptitude for facilitating and motivating young people in reaching their potential is essential.
The salary will be in the range of €31,048 - €47,328 as per CDYSB Youth Worker scale commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Application Form and job description/person specification is available below or www.exchangehouse.ie or call the HR Manager on (01) 872 1094. Completed Application Forms should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or to the HR Manager, Exchange House Ireland, 61 Great Strand Street, Dublin D01 WC97. Closing date for receipt of applications is 5pm on Monday, February 03 2020.
All positions in Exchange House Ireland are subject to Garda Vetting and full reference checks.
Exchange House Ireland is an Equal Opportunities Employer and welcomes applications from members of the Traveller community.