At Dublin Simon Community, we are passionate about making home a reality. Our aim is to empower people to access and retain a home by providing housing, prevention, addiction treatment, emergency response and other targeted interventions, through advocacy and partnership. If you share our values and want to make a difference also, come talk to us at Dublin Simon Community. We’re looking for client focused, friendly and adaptable people to join our team.
About the job:
As a Support Worker, you’ll help service user needs on a daily basis. From facilitating participation initiatives to working with the wider team to discuss what’s best for the service user, you’ll help to change the lives of our clients. As a Support Worker you contribute to ensure effective and consistent of the best practice standards followed in the Dublin Simon Community services. We have our induction program and you will be provided with 10 training days throughout the year, ensuring you have the support and training to succeed in this role. You’ll report to the Service Manager.
- Support the project/key workers and management in the implementation of operational and strategic goals; following-up on support plan actions, supporting the service user to achieve their goals.
- Deliver the personal, professional and social development programme.
- Provide care interventions and daily living skills support.
- Assistance in managing medication/health regimes, accessing primary and secondary healthcare, liaising with GP and Pharmacists, methadone providers, arranging doctors/healthcare appointments and accompanying them to appointments.
- Conduct harm reduction interventions; overdose prevention, stabilisation.
- Managing complex and challenging behaviour including impacts of dementia and confusion, crisis and conflict management and ensuring residents adhere to accommodation agreements.
- Therapeutic and diversionary interventions providing emotional and motivational support, promoting positive mental health attitudes, self esteem and self-respect.
- Process all incoming enquiries and referrals to accommodation of service users.
- Support service users to liaise with landlords and facilitate when moving location.
- Ensure consistent handovers, diary, incident reports and follow-ups, in accordance with organisation policies.
- Accommodation management; ensuring routine maintenance is carried out, cleaning, security inspections and bedroom health and safety inspections occur, in line with operational procedures and standards.
- BA/BS degree (level 7 or 8) in Psychology, Community Development, Counselling, Social Care, Social Work, or similar.
- 2 years experience working in a social or caring setting.
- Understanding of why people become homeless and the needs they have.
- Record keeping, report writing
- IT skills including Microsoft, Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook
- Client-focused, adaptable, accountable, resilient individual.
- Excellent communicator, with the ability to advocate on the client’s behalf.
- Ability to manage challenging behaviour, whilst being respectful and professional.
- Health & Safety training
- Passion for helping people, with the ability to work in an agile environment and problem-solve.
- Experience of working with vulnerable and disadvantaged groups.
Location: Dublin City
Working Hours: 7 day liability Monday - Sunday. Generally 37.5 hours per week. 25 days annual leave.
Application due date: 02/02/2020
For queries relating to this position please telephone (01) 635 4800