NOTE: This item has expired and will soon be unavailable for viewing.
Clondalkin Travellers Development Group,
Clondalkin Enterprise Centre,
Job Title: Youth & Community Worker
Reporting to - Project Manager, Youth Steering Group and the Board of CTDG.
Clondalkin Travellers Development Group (CTDG) is a community development project aiming to promote the social, economic, civic, political and cultural rights of Travellers as a nomadic ethnic group in Irish society. CTDG look after Travellers in the Clondalkin, Lucan, Newcastle and Palmerstown geographical areas. It is currently seeking to employ a Youth Worker who will be responsible for the Traveller Youth brief of the organisation in line with the organisation’s Strategic Plan and in line with DDLETB funding. The principles of community development underpin all the work.
There are five main elements to the role
- To identify and respond to the needs of targeted young Travellers aged 10 - 24 years.
- To plan, develop and deliver youth group programmes to the target group who are identified through various youth work methodologies.
- To spend a minimum of 75% of working hours in direct contact with young Travellers.
- To assist young people to successfully participate with the service in order to enhance their capacity to reach their full potential.
- To refer on and signpost young people who may be in need of additional specialised services.
Please note this work will include evening work, weekend work and school holidays so flexibility is required.
Other Areas of Work
- Interagency work.
- Representation where deemed necessary.
- Targeted outreach in consultation with the Manager.
- Structured resource work will form part of the role.
- Planning, monitoring, and evaluating all the actions and activities undertaken, both individually and as a Project.
- To provide reports, both written and verbal, sessional, weekly and monthly statistics. Periodic work presentations to the Manager, Youth Steering Group & Board of Directors.
- Other tasks as required by the Manager and Board or its sub groups in the course of meeting the aims and objectives of CTDG.
Essential requirements include
- Youth / Community Development qualification.
- A strong commitment to youth /community development / human rights and equality.
- Detailed understanding of the issues and barriers faced by young Travellers.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of Youth practices and reports.
- Experience of advocating with and on behalf of young Travellers and their families.
- Understanding of how national network/membership organisations work.
- Understanding of the support needs of Traveller organisations regarding Youth policy issues.
- Ability to develop and write policy submissions and articulate CTDG’s Youth policy positions at national forums.
- Must have experience, deep understanding and knowledge of youth work.
- Must be able to demonstrate experience in a Youth setting, building the capacity of marginalised groups and communities to advocate on their own behalf and become community leaders.
- Must be a self-starter and be able to work on own initiative, take direction and deliver the organisations Youth strategy.
- Must have specific knowledge of the Models of Youth Work, The EU Logbook and NQSF system.
- Must be able to provide a supportive role to young Travellers and their families and be able to advocate on their behalf in an empathetic manner.
- Must demonstrate a strong teamwork ethic.
- Must have excellent administration and report writing skills.
- Must have full licence and own transport.
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Salary: €32,582.24 per annum
Contract: Permanent position, subject to funding & successful completion of a 6 month probationary period.
Closing Date for Applications Friday January 24th 2020 @ 5 p.m.
Interviews expected to take place in February.
Please note this position is subject to Garda Vetting.
Please apply by email to Doreen Carpenter, Project Manager at email@example.com
Or by post to
Doreen Carpenter, Project Manager, Clondalkin Travellers Development Group,
Office Block 1, Clondalkin Enterprise Centre, Neilstown Road, Clondalkin, Dublin 22.
Clondalkin Travellers Development Group is an equal opportunities employer.