Depaul believes that everyone should have a place to call home and a stake in their community. Our aim is to work with those who are socially excluded and marginalised by providing a quality led service in order to produce the best possible outcomes for those accessing our services. We strive to empower our service users to make choices and decisions about the way they live their lives. We work in partnership with central and local government, housing associations and other non-governmental organisations.
Depaul is an equal opportunities employer, we offer a standard 35 hour working week, generous leave entitlements and a pension scheme. We support all staff with regular supervision and core training.
Depaul wishes to recruit to the following role:
Maintenance Worker (Temporary 3 Month Contract)
Based in our Dublin office, also working from our Dublin Services
Salary €30,621 per annum, full time hours
This purpose of this post is to complete day to day maintenance on Depaul properties and co-ordinate outsourced repairs where required. To provide guidance and support to colleagues where required on property maintenance issues that may arise.
2. Key Areas of Responsibility
- Carrying out of day to day maintenance in Depaul projects. Works that require a specialist contractor may be outsourced, e.g. lifts, electrical works. A full list of approved maintenance will be supplied at induction.
- Driving any vehicle (Within the scope of a Cat B Drivers Licence) provided to any of the Depaul projects as required.
- React in a timely and professional manner to any urgent building or maintenance matters as may arise in any of the projects.
- Inspect grounds, facilities and equipment routinely to determine necessary repairs or maintenance.
- Assist with planning, scheduling and co-ordinating of outsourced maintenance ensuring health and safety compliance.
- Support Depaul projects relevant to your responsibilities. To source materials, prepare venue, monitor and oversee the works within any of the projects.
- Ensure compliance with health and safety throughout all work duties and report any concerns if necessary to your line manager.
- Reporting and logging all completed repairs on a continuous basis and supplying this log weekly to your line manager.
- Support colleagues on property related activities as identified by your manager.
- To undertake duties and working hours appropriate to the requirements of the post.
- In conjunction with your Line Manager to continuously develop the role to ensure that all tasks are being undertaken in an effective and appropriate manner which meets the strategic aims and objectives of Depaul.
- To participate in regular supervision and annual appraisal, and help in identifying your own job-related development and training needs as well as those that you line manager.
- To ensure that all Depaul policies and procedures are being adhered to, particularly those relating to Health and Safety.
- To at all times undertake your role in a professional manner maintaining a high quality standard of work, and to always work in accordance with the aims, values and ethos of Depaul.
- To have a flexible working style to ensure the successful delivery of services, this may include flexibility to hours of work.
Undertake any other duties that may be required which are commensurate with the role.
- Commitment to the Visual, Mission and Values of Depaul and to work within the current legislation and regulations.
- To actively participate in team and staff meetings and service reviews and to contribute to the development of policy and practice with your area of work and within Depaul as a whole.
- Identify any training needs with your line manager and attend all training appropriate to the role.
- To be vigilant to any Health, Safety and Welfare risks in the workplace and bring any concerns to the attention of your line manager or the project’s Health and Safety Representative.
- To be responsible in the financial expenditure and budgets of projects within the post. Through Line management and in conjunction with project managers ensure the best value for money is always achieved..
- To ensure petty cash procedures are followed and that adequate records are kept.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- To ensure that Health and Safety standards are met within the project in accordance with Depaul’s Health and Safety policy and the projects Safety Statement.
- To undertake assigned duties regarding the overall health and safety and security of the house and to use security systems put in place.
- To assist the management team in ensuring that the maintenance and repair of the project equipment, furnishings and fabrics remain to a high standard and initiating the necessary repairs that may be required.
- To record and report all health and safety and security issues.
The above list is not exhaustive; additional areas of responsibility may be added over time and flexibility to cover for other staff roles is required from time to time.
3. Person Requirements
- A reasonable standard of education and fluent English.
- The post holder must have a full clean (no convictions) Cat B driving licence as there will be van driving duties on a regular basis.
- Valid Safe Pass essential.
- Valid Manual Handling essential.
- A knowledge of PAT testing is desirable, the successful candidates must be willing to attend training and be competent to carry out testing if required
- At least 3 years’ experience in a hands-on multifunctional property/building maintenance role
- To be skilled in basic carpentry, ironmongery, plumbing, painting, cleaning, glazing plastering and general repairs.
- To be comfortable working at heights and in confined spaces and be physically capable of carrying, loading and storing plant and equipment in a safe manner.
- The ability to use power tools and operate safely in any environments that may be cold, warm, with noise, dust or areas containing hazardous waste materials etc.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety practices and policies and the incorporation/ implementation of both within the working environment.
- Ability to be a flexible and co-operative member of a team.
- Ability to act calmly and professionally in emergencies, to work under pressure and effectively manage stress.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate with stakeholders including Housing Managers, Housing Assoc, and Local Authorities.
- Ability to work within and develop Quality standards within homeless services.
Online Application Procedure:
Please download and complete the application form available on the employment page of our website
For more information, please contact Human Resources:
Tel: 00 353 1 453 7111 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for all applications: 23rd September 2019 at 9 am
Panels will be formed from which future vacancies may be filled