NOTE: This item has expired and will soon be unavailable for viewing.
Depaul believes that everyone should have a place to call home and a stake in their community. Our aim is to work with those who are socially excluded and marginalised by providing a quality led service in order to produce the best possible outcomes for those accessing our services. We strive to empower our service users to make choices and decisions about the way they live their lives. We work in partnership with central and local government, housing associations and other non-governmental organisations.
Depaul is an equal opportunities employer, we offer a standard 35 hour working week, generous leave entitlements and a pension scheme. We support all staff with regular supervision and core training.
Depaul wishes to recruit to the following role:
Based in Sundial House
€15.81 per hour
“As and When Required” basis - required to be available to cover shifts across a 24/7 rota (includes waking night shifts)
This role offers a fantastic opportunity to provide support to our organisation’s central services in Dublin. Depaul is a values-led organisation working with a number of services throughout Dublin and Belfast. This role will report directly to the Local Management Team and will be responsible for ensuring that the day-to-day personal care, hygiene and nutritional needs of high support need residents and infection control in their personal living areas.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a diverse team of talented individuals..
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Offer personal care & support in regard to hygiene issues in accordance with DePaul’s career standards, to uphold the dignity and respect of the residents
- Assisting high support needs residents with getting up in the morning, washing dressing and changing of clothes, incontinence management etc in privacy of rooms.
- Monitor for pressure areas occurring and know what measures to put in place to prevent them.
- As required, adapt levels of assistance to needs of particular residents, encouraging maximum levels of independence.
- Apply the Depaul Carer’s personal standard of hygiene in assisting in the prevention of infection.
- Operate effectively to prevent cross-infection, using recognized Infection Control measures.
- Assist with maintaining a safe and hygienic environment for residents
- Offer laundry support for residents – in particular those with incontinence issues.
- Support and assist residents where possible to be active themselves in maintaining good standards of cleanliness in bedrooms.
- Ensure the nutritional needs of residents are met. Assist with feeding of residents when required.
- Promote and support the importance of a well-balanced diet for residents with high support care needs
- Where appropriate ensure that food is stored hygienically and safely.
- Offer support and intervene, as directed by the nurse, to the resident in regard hydration and nutrition.
- Liaise with Shift Co-ordinator, as often as required, and participate fully in Handovers, when in attendance
- Link in with on-site nurse daily, as required, especially in regard to resident care.
- Report health issues or concerns to Nurse, Shift co-ordinator and LMT as required.
- Report all Incidents (as instructed by the Local Management), as per Depaul’s Incident Management procedure.
- Alert a manager of any crisis or behaviour management issues and to use on call manager, if no local manager present.
- Support other staff in maintaining good order and organisation in the house.
- If required, at the direction of a manager or Nurse, accompany residents to medical/health related appointments.
- Support residents in taking their daily medication and keep appropriate records as per the medication standards on-site.
- Ensure that Health and Safety standards are met within the service in accordance with Depaul’s Health and Safety policy and localised safety statement.
- Undertake assigned duties regarding the overall security of the house and to use security systems put in place.
- Report all Health & Safety issues and manage same, as appropriate to your role.
- Work collaboratively with other carers and all other staff in the best interests of the residents.
- Use the formal communication systems of the service (i.e. Communications book, Case Notes, Handover records etc.) to ensure effective communication between shifts and other staff.
- In conjunction with your Line Manager, continuously develop the role to ensure that all tasks are being undertaken in an effective and appropriate manner which meets the strategic aims and objectives of Depaul.
- Participate in internal/external meetings as required, and attend training events, conferences and other functions as necessary.
- Participate in regular supervision and annual appraisal, and help in identifying your own job-related development and training needs.
- Ensure that you adhere to all Depaul policies and procedures, particularly those relating to Health and Safety, Code of Practice and Confidentiality and those specific to the role of carer
The above list is not exhaustive; additional areas of responsibility may be added over time and flexibility to cover for other staff roles is required from time to time.
- One year’s full time experience as Health Care Assistant, preferably in a residential setting. It is essential that you have experience in assisting with personal care management. It is desirable to have experience/ interest in dealing with homelessness, substance misuse problems and mental health issues.
- Good standard education.
- QQI/FETAC level 5 Healthcare Support Major Award to work as a Health Care Assistant.
- Infection Control and Manual Handling
- Understand why people become homeless and the issues they present with, and what supports can be offered in services to service users with complex needs
- Understanding of risk management principles.
- Capable of responding calmly in a crisis and use your own initiative to deal with incidents as they arise
- Be able to work as part of a team understanding the importance of team communication
- Have an understanding of Health and Safety and the health and safety requirements within a residential setting working with homeless people.
- Have a knowledge and understanding of the vision, mission and values of Depaul
Online Application Procedure:
Please apply through our online application procedure available on our website
For more information, please contact Human Resources:
Tel: 00 353 1 453 7111 or e-mail email@example.com
Closing date for all applications: Monday 9th September at 9am
Panels will be formed from which future vacancies may be filled