Position: Drugs and Alcohol Worker for Young People
Reporting To: Youth Work Team Leader
Type of Contract: Specified Purpose Contract for 12 months.
Location/Base: Ballyfermot/ Cherry Orchard
Hours: 35 including evening and weekends
Salary scale: CDYSB pay scale applies €30,362 - €46,514
What is FamiliBase?
FamiliBase is a centre for children, young people, families and the local community in Ballyfermot/Cherry Orchard. FamiliBase works in collaboration with children, young people, parents, families and providers of child, youth and family related organisations/services to deliver a range of preventative, intervention and harm reduction strategies across the three strands of the organisation 1. Early Years Care and Education 2. Child and Parent Supports 3. Youth and Community Supports. FamiliBase does this to ensure the best possible outcomes for the children, young people and parents of Ballyfermot.
The Drug and Alcohol Youth Worker will work as part of the Youth and Community Supports team supporting young people based on a harm reduction model, who may be at risk of and / or experiencing substance issues. Multiple complex issues may impact upon the lives of this specific target group including poverty, early school leaving, mental health, criminal justice or family relationship issues. This role spans, outreach, one-to-one, case management support, facilitation and coordination of drug education, recovery and wellness groups. The successful candidate will have the capacity to assess the needs of the young people and match their needs with the appropriate interventions and arrange input from other relevant agencies where necessary
Qualifications & Experience
- Have a relevant qualification (minimum Level 7 or equivalent) e.g. social care, addiction, community or youth work together with qualification/training in Motivational Interviewing (MI), Relapse Prevention.
- Have a minimum of 2 years relevant employed work experience in youth work, addiction, community development, health & social care, education or related fields including experience of crisis support, key working, case management and group facilitation
- Have an understanding of the current National Substance Misuse Strategy and logic model reporting
- Experience working in collaboration / conjunction with other organisations in the development and delivery of programmes, interventions and services
- Experience of delivering education & preventative/developmental drugs/alcohol programmes
- Commitment and flexibility to work evenings and weekends where required
- Additional Training Desirable : ACRA
- Access to own transport with a full clean driver’s licence is required for this role.
- Delivery the programme as part of the Familibase Integrated Model of service delivery
- Target, engage and establish relationships with local young people who may benefit from the support of the Drugs and Alcohol Programme
- Actively outreach young people and provide support in relation to alcohol/drugs issues
- Assess the needs of young people and match their needs with the appropriate evidence-based interventions and arrange input from other relevant agencies where necessary
- Develop an individual integrated care plan which is based on a comprehensive assessment of the young person’s needs, with appropriate goals, agreed with the young person and their family, where appropriate.
- Work closely with community, voluntary and statutory services to ensure that young people can access support in relation to other needs i.e. child protection, housing, employment and education etc.
- Establish and deliver structured therapeutic support, group-work sessions, one to one interventions , drop-ins and activity based sessions
- Plan for those transitioning from the service
- Further develop, coordinate and deliver education & preventative/developmental drugs/alcohol programmes
- Further develop and coordinate wellness programmes including recruiting appropriate facilitators
- Work in collaboration with other organisations in the development and delivery of programmes, interventions and services
- To work as part of the Familibase Integrated model of service delivery
- Produce reports in line with funding agencies requirements and compile any ad hoc information requests relating as required.
- Responsible for ensuring that statistics/data are kept updated on the FamiliBase recording systems at all times and provide reports to the Youth Work Project Leader in keeping with all required deadlines and on an ad hoc basis as required
- Monitor and evaluate all programmes and activities
- Continuously develop the programme to ensure we are responding to the identified needs of young people and their families
- Adhere to Familibase Policies and current best practice in working with children and young people
- Develop effective relationships by liaising with other agencies working with children and young people
- Represent Familibase, the young people and the community at relevant local, regional and national forums where appropriate.
- Participate in all relevant training opportunities where appropriate
- Ensure administrative duties and office procedures are implemented
Other relevant information
- The person appointed will be expected to take up the appointment within a period of not more than one month from the job offer date. If they fail to take up the appointment within such a period, FamiliBase in its absolute discretion may determine not to appoint them.
- Candidates will be required to produce satisfactory evidence that they possess the prescribed qualifications where applicable.
- Only applications submitted by the closing date of 5pm on Monday the 26th of August will be considered.
- Interviews will take place on Monday the 2nd of September
- Applications and cover letter should be by e-mail to email@example.com or by post to Clare Fleet, FamiliBase, Blackditch Road, Ballyfermot, Dublin 10
- CV’s will not be accepted
FamiliBase Ltd. is an equal opportunities employer.
Any attempt by a candidate, himself or herself or by any person(s) acting at the candidate’s instigation, directly or indirectly by means of written communication or otherwise, to canvas or otherwise influence in the candidate’s favour any member of the staff of FamiliBase Ltd. or person nominated by FamiliBase Ltd. to interview or examine applicants will automatically disqualify the candidate for the position being sought.