Daughters of Charity Community Services
Part time Barbering Instructor
St. Vincent’s Community Training Centre of the Daughters of Charity Community Services provides vocational and life skills training to early school leavers under the CDETB Community Training Programme. The courses are designed to enhance the learner’s potential to learn new skills and achieve relevant certification necessary for progression into employment, further training or continued education.
The Barbering role:
Contract: Part-time – one year fixed term: working 8 – 12.5 hours per week. This will be worked over 1 full day or 1 and a half days. The days to be worked can be negotiated. This is a job share position and involves both instructors working together to complete all modules.
Reporting to: CTC Manager
Salary Scale: Point 1 on CTC instructor scale, pro rata
The organisation invites applications from enthusiastic and self-motivated individuals for the position of:
Part time Barbering instructor
The is a relatively new post and an excellent opportunity for someone who wishes to work with us to establish a new area of barbering within our Training Centre. The ideal candidate will have leadership experience and experience of providing training for individuals in the area of barbering. The successful applicant will deliver the VTCT Level 2 Diploma in Barbering (which is the equivalent of QQI level 4) in partnership with another instructor. This position will help develop our specialisation within the Training Centre for Hair, Beauty and Barbering. This role will be supported by a team within the Hairdressing and Beauty training area with the CTC, as well as the Manager and further supports throughout the organisation. The learners will also receive supports in relation to literacy, numeracy, computers and other programmes developed by the CTC.
The successful applicant will be employed for 1 or 1.5 days per week and within this timeframe must deliver the curriculum to up to 10 learners. The modules will be shared, which each instructor having responsibility for the modules that they are assigned.
Applicants should posses:
- A train the trainer qualification and a VTCT assessor qualification are necessary for the role and would be an advantage to applicants, however the organisation will organise training for the successful candidate if required.
- Experience in colouring hair would be an advantage.
- The ability to work collaboratively with a small team, and the wider CTC and organisation. This is essential as the role involves sharing a teaching and training space and also developing strong links with other internal and external parties, to include work experience placements in Barber Shops, to ensure our learners are provided the best possible support.
- A recognised diploma/trade qualification relating to barbering / hairdressing for men
- An ability to inspire and motivate young people and a passion for the barbering profession and business
- Experience of providing training and support to trainee barbers, specific experience with the 16 to 21 year old age group will be a distinct advantage.
- Experience in customer service and an ability to train learners to an excellent level in relation to same.
- The ability to integrate I.T. based learning, literacy development and other pedagogical skills and approaches.
- Excellent administration skills, as the role requires maintaining records and submission to VTCT and CDETB.
- A trainee-centred approach to the work, with demonstrated experience of this.
- The ability to provide guidance to new and emerging learners, including developing a unique learning plan to for each individual learner.
- The ability to work effectively with CTC staff, learners, external partners, employers and others as appropriate to support the learner engagement on work experience, personal development and progression.
- Excellent communication and listening skills.
- A working knowledge of the key state agencies who work with early school leavers.
- The ability to support the personal development of each learner to develop the skills required to engage and sustain in an employment position in the Barbering industry.
Please complete the DoCCS application form (attached below) CVs will not be accepted, and submit the completed form, with a cover letter to: Louise Mullins, HR Manager, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or post: Louise Mullins, Daughters of Charity Community Services, 9 Henrietta Street, Dublin 1. Louise can be contacted at 01-8874122 after the 12th of August for queries relating to the position.
The role is subject to Garda Vetting and reference checks.
Closing date for the receipt of completed application forms for the position is Friday, 22nd August at 5pm. Late applications will not be considered.
The Daughters of Charity Community Services is an Equal Opportunities Employer and we welcome, and strive to have, a diverse workforce.