Cumann na Daoine, Community Development Project, Youghal.
Job Descriptions – Part time
Community Development Co-ordinator and Outreach Worker for Travellers in East Cork
The main aim of this work is to establish the East Cork Traveller Project as an independent Traveller led project.
Duties will include:
- Becoming familiar with the East Cork Traveller research report – findings and recommendations.
- Building relationships with Traveller families in East Cork and supporting active Traveller participation.
- Build relationships with other service providers and community organisations.
- Developing capacity building programmes with groups of Traveller women and men in East Cork, e.g. development of Traveller groups, spaces and projects.
- Outreach to Traveller men living in East Cork and support them to engage in the Men’s Shed Development Project with a focus on allotments initially.
- Facilitating the roll out of Traveller Culture Awareness Training (TCAT) in East Cork.
- Encourage participation in leadership programmes for East Cork Travellers in 2018/19. This will require promotion to and engagement of Travellers.
- Participate in evaluating the work carried out in year one with a view to developing a three year action plan for Travellers in East Cork.
- Participate in team events with other members of staff at Cumann na Daoine.
In addition to the duties outlined above the Co-Ordinator will also have responsibility for:
- Preparing regular monthly progress reports and the keeping of appropriate financial records/accounts.
- Completing funding applications on behalf of the ECT project as appropriate.
- Ensure strong project/Traveller representation on interagency committees.
- Work in close co-operation with other Traveller organisations across the city/county.
- Support and supervision of the Traveller Community Development Worker.
The co-ordinator will report to the Staff Liaison Group and be supported by the Development Manager of Cumann na Daoine. A quarterly work plan will be agreed with the East Cork Traveller Steering Group and members of this Steering Group will support the work.
The work will be delivered using the principles of community development and by focusing the on social determinants of health.
In line with the recent recognition of Traveller ethnicity, Cumann na Daoine is committed to supporting and promoting Traveller rights and culture amongst the wider community.
The post is funded and supported by the HSE Traveller Health Unit for Cork and Kerry and by the St. Stephen’s Green Trust.
This post is open to those interested in job sharing, part-time or full-time – men and women. Short-listing will apply.
- Minimum of 3 years community development experience and/or qualifications in Community Development or related disciplines. (minimum of 5 for co-ordinator)
- Understanding of Traveller community development work specifically
- Experience of community development programme design and development
- Experience of facilitating/leading groups
- Ability and willingness to promote Traveller culture
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent communication and engagement skills
- Good IT skills (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Good organisational skills and ability to work on own initiative
- Access to car and own clean driving license
- Ability to write clear and succinct reports
- Willing to work flexible hours including evenings
- Sense of humour
- Additional professional development courses completed and accredited
- Proven ability in supporting the development of leadership skills
- Experience of co-ordinating events
- Experience of completing funding applications for co-ordinator
- Understanding of anti-racist and anti-discriminatory practices
Salaries: Community Development Co-ordinator €41,667 pro rata and Community Development Outreach Worker €38,049 pro rata. We expect these posts to be filled part-time and this will be negotiated with the successful candidates.
Closing Date for Applications: April 5th 2019 at 5pm.
Please send cover letter and CV to the Development Manager, Cumann na Daoine, Catherine St., Youghal, Co. Cork or email email@example.com with job title in the subject line.