Job Title: Legal Service Manager
Duration: The appointment is for an initial period of 2 years and is subject to the continued availability of funding. A probation period will apply. The Legal Service Manager will report directly to the CEO.
Salary: €42.000 p/a
Nasc is recruiting a Legal Service Manager. Nasc is an NGO and registered charity based in Cork City. Nasc works with migrants and refugees to advocate and lead for change within Ireland’s immigration and protection systems. Nasc’s free legal information service sees 1,300 people per year and offers legal information and advocacy on all immigration matters as well as information on asylum and reception conditions.
The Legal Service Manager will be responsible for leading and managing the Legal Service including supervision of staff, interns and volunteers, managing casework, policy development and the administration of grant agreements.
The post-holder will:
Leadership & Management
- Be responsible for managing the Legal Information Service and contributing to the delivery of Nasc’s objectives as outlined in Nasc’s Strategic Plan 2019-2021;
- Be responsible for own caseload as well as the supervision of the work of other staff in the service;
- Proactively identify and respond to developing trends in Irish immigration and asylum
- law and policy;
- Ensure that the Legal Information Service remains a leading voice on Irish immigration and asylum law and policy;
- Participate in Nasc’s Senior Management Team and the advocacy, policy and capacity building work of the organisation when appropriate;
- Assist in the recruitment and, where necessary, training of other staff members and interns;
- Play a full part in the development of Nasc generally;
- Provide legal information to, and advocate on behalf of Nasc clients;
- Make representations to the INIS and other relevant authorities on cases;
- Ensure that casework targets for the legal service are met and that any reporting and monitoring requirements are met in full;
- Ensure that files and records are maintained in accordance with Nasc’s file management procedures;
- Ensure that the service is compliant with legal requirements including GDPR and Safeguarding.
- Design and deliver workshops, capacity building training and outreach sessions as required;
- Attend and actively participate in internal and external meetings and events as appropriate;
- Represent the organisation in media when appropriate;
- Use the evidence base generated to identify policy and research issues that can support tour
- wider policy, research and advocacy work;
- Assist in the development of Nasc research and publications;
- Assist in the drafting of funding applications and the administration of grants;
- Any other responsibilities which assist in the smooth running of the Service;
- Adhere in full to all of Nasc’s policies and procedures.
The post-holder will meet the following criteria for the post:
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- Law degree (essential). Postgraduate qualification desirable;
- 2 years of experience in a senior leadership or management position;
- 3 years of experience of giving legal information or advice and advocacy on immigration and asylum matters on behalf of clients;
- Demonstrable current knowledge of immigration and asylum law and policy in Ireland;
- Demonstrable experience in managing own caseload and the ability to manage a high number of cases at any given time;
- Demonstrable legal research skills and ability to keep up to date with changing laws and practices;
- Demonstrable experience in interacting with a range of organisations, civil society bodies and public and government officials;
- Demonstrable experience in drafting funding applications and meeting administration and reporting requirements.
- The ability to communicate fluently in English (fluency in another language desirable but not essential);
- The ability to communicate effectively with people from a wide range of backgrounds and deal empathetically and supportively with migrants, refugees and asylum seekers.
- The ability to work autonomously, prioritise and meet deadlines;
- The ability to contribute to work collaboratively in a strong team environment.
We particularly welcome applications from people from a migrant, refugee or ethnic minority background. Nasc is an equal opportunities employer.
- Application is by CV (max 2 pages) and cover letter (max 2 pages). Applications must be submitted by email to Fiona Finn at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The cover letter must clearly address the person specification outlined above. Only applications addressing the person specification will be considered.
- All applications must have the phrase ‘Legal Service Manager’ in the email subject matter line.
- The deadline for receipt of applications is 4:30pm Monday 24th June 2019. Late applications will not be accepted under any circumstances.
- Applicants will be shortlisted and interviews are expected to be held the week of 01st or 08th July.