NOTE: This item has expired and will soon be unavailable for viewing.
Ballymun Regional Youth Resource (BRYR)
is seeking a
Youth Service Manager
(With funding from DCYA, administered by CDYSB)
BRYR is a professional youth work organisation, working for the overall welfare of 10-24 year olds in Ballymun and surrounding areas. Our mission is to empower young people from Ballymun & surrounding areas to reach their full potential, by putting in place a range of resources that will support them to make a happy, healthy and successful transition to adulthood, promoting health, well- being and resilience at all stages of their development. We are a relatively large community-based youth service, with 44 staff supported by 30 more volunteers. Please refer to our website for details on the types of services and activities we provide. (www.bryr.ie).
Position: Youth Service Manager (YSM)
Employed by: Ballymun Regional Youth Resourse
Reporting to: Board of Directors
Responsible for: Operational management; including finance, property, personnel and administration
The YSM will lead a staff team of 44 who in turn are supported by 30 volunteers to deliver on a broad range of projects and programmes with and for young people aged 10-24 years in the greater Ballymun area.
The YSM will formulate, lead and manage the overall development, planning, implementation and administration of the youth work strategy as agreed with the Management Board. The YSM will manage staff and facilities to ensure the priority needs of the target group are met.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Formulation, development and implementation of a strategic plan for effective service delivery
- Management of finance and budgets
- Implementation of National Quality Standards Framework for Youth Work (NQSF)
- Implementation of an approved annual plan within timeframe and budget
- Leading, developing and managing staff to achieve best practice
- Representing the Management Board as appropriate
- Management and operation of facilities including leasing / contractual arrangements
- Liaison and / or coordination with local groups, agencies and CDYSB
- Policy / strategy review, evaluation and development in conjunction with the Management Board
- Advising and ensuring that the Management Board is compliant with all relevant legislation and corporate governance standards including statutory returns
- Profiling and promoting youth service delivery, influencing policy and acting where appropriate in an advocacy role on behalf of the Management Board
- The YSM acts on behalf of the Management Board as the designated child protection officer for BRYR. The YSM along with the Volunteer Support Worker (VSW) is also 1 of the 2 designated Garda Vetting officers for BRYR. In the event of a disclosure report, the Manager leads the VSW and the Chairperson as the 3-member disclosure committee for BRYR
Key Tasks – Planning:
- To consult strategically with relevant groups
- To formulate and draft a strategic plan for approval by the Management Board and to review it on an annual basis to meet the needs identified
- To negotiate with relevant agencies in relation to funding and resources to meet the objectives of the plan
- To develop and undertake funding initiatives to support the implementation of the plan
- To develop an annual operational plan for projects, programmes, facilities and to prioritise deployment of resources to achieve the stated objectives
- To ensure that policies and practices relevant to the target group are reviewed and updated with the Management Board
- To prepare, present and oversee the annual budget for approved programmes
- To provide support and direction to the onsite Facilities Manager in the effective management of the building – including health & safety and facility maintenance including external contractors, as well as the following:
- To develop a specific policy for approval by the Management Board of facility use by internal and external groups in line with overall policy for the centre(s)
- To arrange for activities to be scheduled and prioritised to maximise efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery within the centre(s) liaising with other groups as necessary.
- To ensure that the centre(s) and their facilities are operated to achieve the objectives set out in the plan.
- Managing all aspects of finances including all necessary and appropriate controls
- Liaising with the funders and fulfilling their reporting requirements
- Reporting via finance & funding sub-committee to the Management Board
- Preparation of budgets and expenditure reports
- Development, review and maintenance of financial procedures policies
- To ensure the accounting and administrative procedures in place comply with legal, regulatory and auditing standards
- Management, supervision and support of staff
- Maintaining and managing accurate HR records, including Payroll
- Reporting via HR Support to the Management Board
- To develop and implement policies agreed by the Management Board in relation to human resource management including recruitment, contractual arrangements, induction, development, motivation, performance and line management, health and safety, grievance/discipline, supervision and organisational development
- To ensure the objectives of the organisation are communicated to all staff including volunteers and that the roles and responsibilities of each individual for achieving these are understood, agreed and documented
- To ensure regular reviews on the performance and development of staff members and to put in place appropriate development plans with the approval of the Management Board
- To assist the Board to develop, design and implement policies and procedures as per Charities Governance Code as required
- Ensuring that accurate records of health & safety, insurance, licence matters and procurement etc. are maintained and kept up to date.
- Maintain the organisations risk management framework and register on behalf of the Board
- To ensure that contractual arrangements with funding agencies, tenants and service users are maintained
- To inform the Management Board of events, issues and occurrences that impact on the services’ reputation, functioning and viability
- To ensure the Management Board has all the necessary structures, systems, resources and information to operate effectively
- To carry out other duties and actions as designated by the Management Board from time to time
- To liaise with various local groups and agencies
- To represent BRYR and promote the work of the organisation
- To actively particpate in collaborative, interagency work within the community with statutory and non statutory partners to improve the outcomes for young people and their families in Ballymun and surrounding areas.
- Promote activities, achievements and other relevant information to the target groups and other stakeholders
- Represent the Management Board on relevant external structures and groups as agreed
Person Specification & Key Attributes
- At least 5 years management experience at a senior level along with programme and/or project management experience in a comparable organization.
- Ability to manage the corporate dimensions of modern organisations formulated as Companies limited by guarantee, including finance, governance, compliance, human resource management.
- Demonstrable experience of managing a range of tasks while maintaining focus on translating policies into practice.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills concerning key stakeholders including: employees, volunteers, Board and external agents such as other youth work organisations, community groups and state agencies.
- Experience of planning programme supports and services for the target group.
- Experience of managing services or buildings
- Track record of maintaining or establishing new services
- Experience of grant applications and reporting
- Understanding of the community and voluntary sector; including governance of registered charities
- Knowledge of public or private sector financial procedures and accounting methods.
- A high level of ICT literacy including a proven ability to apply technology in the workplace.
- Knowledge of risk management and the implementation of internal controls
- Self-starter capable of working on his/her own initiative, with strong multitasking capability and flexible and results focused.
- Good planning and organisational skills with the ability to prioritise tasks effectively in a dynamic and pressurised environment
- Leadership skills with the ability to manage staff and other resources effectively to deliver high quality output within tight time frames
- Proven record as a team-player with a flexible approach.
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills, including negotiation, report writing and presentation skills;
- Excellent judgement, problem-solving, analytical and decision-making skills.
- Strong skills in building productive working relationships and the ability to foster strong links with a range of external stakeholders / funders
- A degree or equivalent professional qualification in education, business, youth work or related disciplines together with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a management role.
- It is desirable that candidates would have a knowledge and understanding of the community / youth sector.
- Salary will commensurate with qualifications and relevant experience on the Youth Service Manager pay scale.
- Working week: 35 hours per week excluding breaks.
- Annual Leave: 22 days per Annum
- The successful candidate must be available to work evenings and weekends as required.
Applications must include a cover letter highlighting suitability for the role along with an up-to-date CV. Please send by post or email for the attention of:
Ballymun Regional Youth Resource
The Reco Central Youth Facility
Sillogue Road, Ballymun, Dublin 11.
Closing date: Friday January 17th 2020, 5.00pm
Shortlisting: Shortlisting for interviews will apply and selected candidates will be notified of interview arrangements in due course.
Contract: The position will be subject to satisfactory references & Garda Vettting and a 6 month probationary period
BRYR CLG is an equal opportunities employer.