Position Title: Social Care Worker Panel and Relief Staff.
Agency/Programme: Young People’s Care Services
Location: Echlin House, South Circular Road
Work Schedule: Panelling for future Fixed Term positions and Relief Hrs
Reports to: SCM/ DSCM/ Social Care Leader
To make the maximum contribution to the work of CROSSCARE’s Young People’s Care Services in the area of provision of high quality care for young people living out of home.
This role is based in the Emergency and Short Term Residential Unit at South Circular Road and covers a 7 day rota. The job holder has a key role in the delivery of the residential service to young people in CROSSCARE, within the context of the Crisis Intervention Service.
He/she will be a member of the Social Care Team of the residential unit, ensuring that a safe, home-like environment is provided to young people who cannot be cared for in their own home, responding at a time of crisis with a view to keeping them safe and addressing their immediate needs.
The job holder will be responsible for implementing the placement plan of designated residents through the means of keyworking, working in partnership with the Tusla Child and Family Agency and family where appropriate. The job holder will promote an ethos of best practice, professionalism and accountability within the unit.
- To create and maintain a safe, caring and stable environment for children and young people in line with best practice; working directly with young people in the unit to ensure that their physical, emotional and intellectual needs are met;
- In line with agreed policies and procedures, to ensure that the rules governing safety and security are adhered to at all times;
- To establish a professional caring relationship with young people and assist them in finding solutions to their personal problems;
- To work within the policies and procedures of the unit, in line with the National Standards governing Children’s Residential Centres;
- To ensure that the house and premises are maintained to a high standard of cleanliness and perform relevant household duties, including meal preparation, laundry and cleaning while on duty;
- To be responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the premises, furniture, vehicles and equipment and adherence to local authority fire and safety and other standards specified by the regulations.
- To ensure that each young person receives the highest quality of care and intervention;
- To undertake the care and supervision of young people and groups of young people both within and outside the unit;
- To manage, challenge and promote change to challenging behaviour in line with best practice and policy and procedure;
- To ensure that the rights of young people are upheld and respected at all times within the unit;
- To act as keyworker for one or more young people as required, ensuring that their individual needs are being met
- To develop and implement placement plans of young people in line with the care plan in partnership with Social Worker and relevant parties;
- To promote contact with family members and other significant people and facilitate access as required;
- Ensure that each young person has input into their care and into the operation of the unit;
- To liaise with the young person’s Social Worker, family and relevant individuals in relation to the placement of each young person.
- Ensure that all records/reports relating to young people have been completed prior to finishing shift;
- Ensure that designated young people’s file are kept in order and up to date;
- Ensure that all relevant records and documentation are completed and filed as appropriate;
- Read and ‘sign off’ on all documentation relating to young people.
- To participate in formal supervision, annual appraisals and training;
- To supervise students and volunteers on occasion;
- Ensure compliance with the provisions of the Health & Safety and Welfare at Work Act (1989) and other relevant legislation;
- Represent the unit and CROSSCARE at meetings, seminars, and conferences or with funders;
- Promote positive working relationships with organisations such as the HSE, Gardai, schools, neighbours and other similar agencies;
- Maintain confidentiality at all times in line with policy.
- Any other duties which are deemed reasonable by the Social Care Manager or Senior Services Manager.
- Degree/Diploma in Social Care, Social Work, Nursing or Psychology.
- Minimum of 6 months experience working with young people in a social care or youth work setting. Key working experience would be desirable but not essential;
- Knowledge of Child Care and Family Services; Intervention Procedures; Behavioural Management.
- Positive attitude towards children and young people and ability to form trusting relationships with children and parents;
- Communication skills;
- Creativity & Innovation;
- Excellent Organisational, time management & record keeping skills.
- Ability to work a 7 day rota as SCW.
- Flexibility to cover holidays/sickness shifts when needed if working as relief staff.
- Full Driving License desirable but not essential.
To apply, please send a comprehensive CV and cover letter to: email@example.com
Closing date for all applications is Friday 31st May, 2019 at 5pm.
CROSSCARE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER.