Opportunities at ECO-UNESCO
This is a great opportunity to join an organisation that is making a real difference to the lives of young people and the environment. If you have a passion for youth development, are enthusiastic, motivated and a great team player with an accounting qualification and experience we would love to hear from you.
About ECO-UNESCO - Background
ECO-UNESCO is Ireland’s environmental education, training and youth organisation and a key strategic partner of UNESCO for its global action programme in education for sustainability. Through the provision of a wide range of environmental programmes and services, ECO-UNESCO delivers a wide range of youth, education and training programmes across Ireland to promote the personal development of young people through practical environmental projects. Working with over 10,000 young people annually we seek to raise awareness of environmental issues.
ECO-UNESCO is seeking to employ a Finance Officer (p/t 21 hours p/w). The Finance Officer role offers a great opportunity to work in a growing environmental youth organisation. As Finance Officer you will be responsible for all aspects to ensure the continuing good financial management of the organisation.
Job Title: Finance Officer
Reporting to: National Director (CEO)
Job purpose: This position is focussed on the continuance and improvement of ECO-UNESCO’s good financial management.
- Maintaining and managing ECO-UNESCO’s accounts on a monthly basis including Day to Day Book-keeping.
- Ensuring good financial control through monitoring and improving the internal financial control procedures.
- Preparation of detailed financial information for Board meetings, Audit, Risk and Finance Sub-Committee, AGM and Annual Report and presenting at Board and relevant Board committee meetings.
- Preparing Monthly Management accounts - P&L, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow Forecast.
- Reconciliation of all accounts and generating financial reports as requested including Monthly profit and loss; quarterly reports and ad hoc funding reports.
- Preparation of annual budget in liaison with National Director.
- Preparing Annual accounts for audit and liaise with external auditor on all queries may arise.
- Preparing and issuing invoices, monitoring debtors
- Managing accounts payable for supplier invoices, monitoring and controlling creditors
- Placing surplus funds on deposit. Monitoring of interest rates and rollover periods
- Assisting the outsourced payroll provider with preparing and processing fortnightly payroll and Revenue returns
- Assisting with financial aspects of applications and reports for funders including assisting funding applications, quarterly / annual financial reports etc.
- Other Ad hoc tasks as part of the ECO-UNESCO team
- Excellent financial and analytical understanding
- Planning and Organising and deadline-oriented
- Data analysis
- Excellent IT skills
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- A methodical and logical approach
- Good commercial sense
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Discretion when handling confidential information
Qualifications & Experience
- At least 2 years’ experience in a similar position and a proven track record of maintaining and managing accounts.
- A relevant accounting qualification
- Working knowledge of accounting package, e.g. Xero and Customer Relationship Management systems (CRM) e.g. Salesforce)
- Familiarity with charity sector and SORP accounting
Equal Opportunities: ECO-UNESCO has an Equal Opportunities policy and all employees are expected to develop an understanding of and commitment to equal opportunities.
Location of post: ECO-UNESCO’S Headquarters, 9 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2
Contract: Fixed-term position for 2-year (p/t) subject to continued funding and satisfactory performance
Probationary period: 6 months which can be extended with agreement by both parties, on satisfactory performance and continued funding.
Hours: part-time position, 21 hours per week
Flexibility is required for occasional evening and weekend working.
Closing Date of application:
Please send a copy of a completed Application Form (below) with a Cover Letter to:
Please mark in subject line:
Employment Opportunities – Finance Officer
To post please send to:
Employment Opportunities, (Finance Officer)
ECO-UNESCO, 9 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2
by Thursday 30 May 2019 at 12pm
Start Date: Immediate
Only applications made with a fully completed application form will be accepted.
Remuneration: Depending on experience. A salary scale will apply.
Applicants may be placed on a panel for positions that may arise in the future. We will hold unsuccessful applications on file for a period of 12 months after which it will be deleted.
By completing and submitting this form you are granting your consent for ECO-UNESCO to process the personal data contained within for the purposes of recruitment.