Cavan Comhairle na nOg
Cavan Comhairle na nOg invites applications from suitably qualified and enthusiastic people for the role of Comhairle facilitators. The successful facilitators will work alongside the Cavan County Council Comhairle na nOg Co-ordinator. The primary focus will be to provide for the Development and Facilitation of Comhairle na nÓg in Cavan.
Request for Facilitators – “As and when required”
Comhairle na nÓg Cavan is one of 31 youth councils in Ireland. It is supported and co-ordinated by Cavan County Council with funding from the Department of Children and Youth Affairs.
The Comhairle is made up of representatives from each second level school in County Cavan in order to give young people aged between 12 and 18 the opportunity to participate in the development of policies and services that are relevant to their lives.
Proposals are now being sought from suitably experienced and competent leaders for the facilitation and delivery of the activities of Comhairle na nÓg Cavan together with agreed work plan for the period May 2019 to 31 December 2020, subject to funding being available.
Requirements and Specifications
The main service of this contract will be to provide for the Development and Facilitation of Comhairle na nÓg in Cavan.
The facilitators, in conjunction with the Contracting Authority, will:
- Continue to grow the Comhairle na nÓg into a strong inclusive collective voice for young people across the county.
- Support the implementation of the Comhairle na nÓg annual work plan which addresses issues and topics as identified by young people themselves.
- Continue to build on Comhairle na nÓg as a consultative forum.
- Continue to facilitate the interaction of Comhairle na nÓg with policy makers and service developers locally and nationally to ensure that the views of young people are included in shaping policies and services.
The following are the minimum activities to be undertaken;
- Liaise with all second level schools in County Cavan during the year 2019 to promote Comhairle na nÓg Cavan and the upcoming AGM.
- Develop a methodology for targeting and engaging ‘Seldom Heard Young People/Socially Isolated Young People’ in the county. Agree this plan with Cavan County Council representatives and implement it.
- Plan, organise and run an AGM in October 2019.
- Draw up a workplan to address the themes and topics as identified by young people themselves, present this to a meeting of the steering group for approval and provide further progress reports to the steering group in advance of each meeting. These topics will be worked on to achieve an outcome that will benefit young people within the county
- Arrange and manage participation of members of Comhairle na nÓg Cavan at the National Showcase or Dail na nÓg in Dublin.
- Plan, convene and deliver a minimum of 12 meetings per annum of the full Comhairle, together with sub-committee meetings as necessary, as well as any other meetings that may be required to progress and deliver the agreed workplan.
- Support a member of the Comhairle to participate in the National Executive.
- Identify and support two Comhairle members to participate in the steering committee.
- Identify and support two Comhairle members to participate in the Cavan CYPSC committee.
- Identify and support two Comhairle members to participate in the Cavan PPN committee.
- Attend and report to up to five meetings per annum of the steering committee that will oversee the progress of the work.
- Attend the annual networking event held by the Department of Children and Youth Affairs and any other national or regional meetings organised by either the Department or the Regional Support Officer.
- Regular quantitative and qualitative reporting to enable Cavan County Council to complete reporting to Pobal and the Department of Children and Youth Affairs.
- Increase the profile of Comhairle na nÓg Cavan.
- Ensure all activities are conducted in line with all relevant Health and Safety, Child Protection and data protection legislation and regulations as well as national and local policy documents.
Skills & Experience
Applicants are required to demonstrate:
- An in-depth knowledge and record of working with young people
- Experience of working with young people on youth participation projects – indicating a minimum of two years’ experience
- Knowledge of IT and social media (face book, twitter etc)
- Familiarity with legislation, policies, theories and practices relating to youth work
- Capacity to communicate social change and engage in group work
Additional Considerations for Successful Facilitators
- Garda Vetting; As our work involves contact with young people, candidates under consideration for this “as and when required” position will be subject to Garda vetting.
- Hours of work; This facilitators post will be “as and when required”. The position will require flexibility, it is expected that the facilitator/s will work evenings and weekend work.
- Funding; It must be understood that if the funding for Comhairle na nOg is discontinued the “as and when required” position will be terminated.
- Annual Leave; The facilitators will not be entitled to paid annual leave.
- Payment; The hourly rate for facilitation and administration will be discussed with the facilitators upon appointment
Applications: Applications should be made by way of submitting your completed CV outlining your suitability for position of as and when required facilitator. Submit your CV to email@example.com
Closing date: Closing date for submitting your CV is 4.00pm Friday 26th April 2019.